Discourse One-Click Self-Hosting: Quicker and Easier than Official Install

I work at Render, a modern cloud provider. We just released a really quick and straightforward way to self-host Discourse:

Advantages over the current official install guide:

• Install Discourse in under 5 minutes
  • Fully managed and free SSL + custom domain management
  • No SSH needed
  • Fully configurable self-hosted option
  • Built to scale!

If you end up trying it out, we’d love to hear about your experience and how we can make things even easier/faster. :pray:

11 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for contributing to the ecosystem!

A point of awareness – since Discourse doesn’t own that install pipeline, support for this mode of installing Discourse will need to come your way, as we’re only able to support sites following the official install guide on Meta at this time.

8 Likes

That’s a pretty cool offering. What is the pricing for the single click install @anurag ? From what I can see it’s ($20 + $7 + $1 + $0.5 + $25), so $53.5 per month?

5 Likes

@justin Render will continue to provide full support for this install method. Users can email support@render.com or post in our Discourse community at https://community.render.com.

@Falco the price can technically be lower if you select smaller plans for the individual components, but we’ve found that the suggested setup is the lowest price for a production-ready, hassle-free Discourse experience.

7 Likes

Last January I reached out to Render Support to ask about the pricing for this 1-click install, and here’s what I was told:

In our 1-click install example, this spins up a database on the Starter plan and a Discourse service on the Starter Plus plan. You can see this listed in the render.yamlfor the repo. We do start the service at Starter Plus as Discourse is a bit more resource hungry compared to some other apps.

Services on the Starter Plus plan are $15/month: Pricing | Render · Cloud Hosting for Developers
Databases on the Starter plan are $7/month: Pricing | Render · Cloud Hosting for Developers

So using the 1-click template, you could expect to pay $22/month. Note that our billing is prorated to the second, so you’ll only pay for the time that the resources are actually hosted.

I also noticed that the template includes a 12GB Disk. Disks are charged at $0.25/GB per month so this would increase the total by another $3/month.

Is this all correct? I’d be super interested to use Render, but would be great to know more clearly what I can expect to be paying when I launch the blueprint

The link doesn’t work anymore… Is it still available?