Discourse sending repeated topic email message

Hello everyone,

After updating to 2.9.0.beta5 - 7ac485fb9f my site is experiencing a problem where uses are receiving 10s of duplicate emails for topics they are following. This was not happening before the update. My users are understandably getting frustrated.

Is there a setting to turn off all outgoing emails? I need to silence this problem somehow until I can figure out what is going on.

Sidekiq is filling up with retry entries:

Thanks
-Mark

There’s the disable emails admin setting, but that turns off all emails, which may be too far. There’s also the default email level you can change to ‘never’, and apply historically. If it’s only affecting a portion of users you could ask them to change theirs manually (or change them individually as admin).

I’m not sure what the issue is with the duplicates though. Perhaps clearing sidekiq could help?

1 Like

Thank you for suggesting these settings changes.

I see jobs collection in Sidekiq and I’ve been killing them regularly. This seems to silence the duplicate emails for a while. But then the problem will reoccur.

I suppose this could be an issue between my Mail server and Discourse/Sidekiq but I’m not sure how to begin diagnosing that. As I say, the problem happened when I updated Discourse. I made no other changes so I’m leaning towards the idea that some change in Discourse has triggered this.

I applied the 2.9.0.beta6 update and the problem ceased for several days but has since returned.

Can anyone offer advice on how I can diagnose this further? Short of turning off outbound emails, which prevents new user signups, I’m not sure what to do.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.