Discourse Sidebar Blocks

Layout error with category box style

Are you sure this is related to the sidebar blocks plugin? I donā€™t see the plugin in your screenshot, maybe a larger screenshot might help. Or a URL to the page.

1 Like

Hereā€¦

Can you see here https://xeom.info/c/xe-om-cong-nghe

Yeah, I see the issue better now. So, the plugin doesnā€™t really cause any problems directly, but the problem arises from the narrow main container area, and the fact that the logos in that group have a set height, and no max-width. Some logos (Uber, T.net) are too wide.

You can fix this by changing the height of these logos with css:

.category-boxes .category-box .logo {
    height: 25px;
}
7 Likes

Yes, thank so muchā€¦i have a question.
I want input code Google adsense into sidebar custom content, but it not display.
How can do it?
Thank again :*

As is mentioned here. This plugin does not work with mobile. However, it still reserves that margin on mobile. Is there a way to disable it for mobile completely

?

1. Remove the second option css in your topic.

1. Add the following code to the design theme (css) or sidebar.scss:
html.mobile-view {
     .sidebar {display: none;}
}

Try to select css to the next two lines. You can do absolutely anything you want.

6 Likes

Perfect man, thank you

A collapse button of some sort would be a wonderful addition to this plugin!

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting. Do you mean a button to collapse the whole sidebar, or a button to collapse each block in the sidebar?

3 Likes

I meant a button to collapse the whole sidebar (a small icon like an arrow could work), since collapsing each block individually does not grant any additional space

4 Likes
  1. Thereā€™s an issue where new topics created donā€™t show up in the latest posts/replies plugin.

2. Also, for some reason people see only 2 latest topics. This started to happen just today. Please fix :slight_smile:

Awesome plugin, much appreciated!

Really like how it is put to use at peshkupauje.com and have two questions on how it is configured there:

1. Multiple columns - How do you achieve multiple columns for sidebar blocks?
  2. Topics previews - How do you render topic previews in a sidebar block?

Also, would it be possible to render the topic author on the listed topics in a sidebar block?

Additionally, it seems you donā€™t get the header/category name when adding sub-category slugs, i.e. category-name/sub-category-name to the sidebar. The posts render seemingly correct, but the title is empty.

I did this a while ago, and itā€™s in a branch of the repository at https://github.com/pmusaraj/discourse-sidebar-blocks/tree/two-columns

That branch does both the two-column layout and adds a widget with thumbnails. See this widget for the thumbnails.

For the subcategories, you are likely right, this hasnā€™t been tested with subcategories.

3 Likes

Thank you for your work - is there a way to display latest post from a wordpress blog on the sidebar?

Not that I know of, no.

Thank you! Also Iā€™ve noticed a ā€œbugā€:

When I set a ā€œthinā€ banner (say 120x600px), the width of the sidebar doesnā€™t adjust and thereā€™s a lot of wide space around the banner

Thatā€™s normal. The sidebarā€™s width is set as a percentage, so you might have to play with the SCSS values in a theme component to get your desired width. This is the SCSS file you would need to override.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently using @awesomerobotā€™s Topic list sidebar while Iā€™m trying to use your sidebar plugin. Iā€™m doing this because the theme places a sidebar on the left-side and your plugin places a sidebar on the right-side. However, this is what occurs when both of them are active:

Your plugin sidebar doesnā€™t appear on the right-side, instead then appears underneath in the same column as the Krisā€™ sidebar. Can anything be done about this (with code or something)?
My website is quemuse.com - any help is appreciated!