Discourse with a screen reader

At the moment we have the ARIA heading role on the entire row. I will move it so it is only on the essential information, the first column of the big table. (status, title, category, unread count and so on).

Should I go a step further and just put the role on the topic title only? I guess this does make stuff a big faster as long as you remember to navigate left and right for information about topic status, category and so on.

@celtichawk thanks! @joffreyjaffeux is option for a solution for dropdowns that should be compatible across JAWS, orca and NVDA. As I mentioned, it may take a bit of time, but we are working on it right now and hope to have something to show you in the next few weeks.

@ethindp I think I have an idea for the header situation in topics. We can put the header role on a single element like “username” and then give it an aria description of “Sam posted 3 hours ago”, then I guess it would say:

“Post #3 region Sam posted 3 hours ago” as you h through stuff. Should we try this?

9 Likes