DiscourseHub is draining battery when battery health is below 90%

This issue seems to be iOS 16 specific. I want into the Apple Store because of this and the guy had the same idea.

DiscourseHub is consuming a huge chunk of my battery with little usage, this isn’t expected behavior.

The app should definitely not be using this much of my battery. I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max, with 87% Battery Health.

4 Likes

Is that the iOS16 beta? I’m seeing 2% usage here in the past 24hrs.

4 Likes

Yes it is, the guy at the Apple Store noted that as well.

I went into apple and they noted the battery usage so here I am.

3 Likes

Official release is 9/12, I’ve not experienced this on my test phone (which is now running the GM).

We will known pretty quickly next week whether this is a quirk of the beta you’re using, or a more widespread issue.

5 Likes

Alright then, will make this a big and add that it seems to be iOS 16 because it will be a big issue when it releases officially and everybody started downloading and starts having issues

3 Likes

Can anybody see this now that it’s public? It’s still draining for me.

2 Likes

I’m seeing 4% here.

How many sites are you using in the app? Have you reinstalled?

1 Like

Only 3 sites.

And I haven’t tried to reinstall, idk why it’s using an insane chunk of my battery

2 Likes

Can’t hurt to remove icecavern if it’s gone.

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems like after a few weeks of it being gone the app gave up on its link and failed to check the favicon bc the 404 just redirects to the new site

1 Like

If others aren’t able to reproduce, a reinstall like @Stephen suggested does seem like a reasonable idea.

2 Likes

I’m a heavy user of DiscourseHub and on iOS 16 its currently reporting to be 28% of my battery usage on my iPhone 11 for last 10 days. I actually don’t find that surprising given my use patterns, it’s my goto app (for obvious reasons). I use it more than Safari.

7 Likes

I will try reinstalling now.

2 Likes

I think that it helped, but didn’t solve it.

1 Like

It does not take up any battery on iPadOS 15.7

About how much are you using it every day?

And also, this is mostly focusing on the i/iPadOS 16 builds.

iPads have much larger batteries so that may also change it.

1 Like

I only started using it again today, haven’t touched it since a week ago.

Maybe that’s the case.

It might also likely be because of the fact that I use the web browser more often than the discourse hub.

1 Like

That explains a lot.

I’m a more heavy user, I still dont use it all that much for it to be draining 65%+ of my battery.

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max for reference.

1 Like

Percent is percent, it is not same as amount, but relative scale. Bigger batteries means only how often one has to recharge, and still an app could use like 60 % of capacity.

You were using beta before official came out. There can be some overlapping issues left. And Apple is pushing x.1 version out faster than ever, so 16 has bugs still left (not a suprise actually).

I’m a heavy user and I don’t use my laptop quite often nowadays — well, when there is need to do ”real” jobs like audio, video, images, excel etc, but not with text based things. And I haven’t found any such issues with sub-16 version. So — there is three options then:

• DiscourseHub may be an issue, because it is an app, but Discourse itself can’t because for devices it is just another website
  • iOS 16 is broken and then you should see similar issues if you use any dynamic website
  • you just use a lot Discourse

My bet is your use in general :wink:

2 Likes

Try using Safari for a day or two instead of Discourse hub , what happens?

4 Likes