Dismissing notifications about theme updates fails

AI-generated summary

Dismissing notifications about theme updates fails

@Moin reported an issue where dismissing notifications about theme updates doesn’t work. They clicked the dismiss button but the notification remained.

@ted investigated and found two possible causes: 1) the notice was already dismissed by another admin or in another tab, and 2) the user trying to dismiss isn’t an admin. Fixes were added for these cases and two pull requests were created (#29099 and #29103).

@Moin questioned whether the notice would still disappear after some time if it was already dismissed, and @ted confirmed it would. However, @Moin reported the notice was still present.

@ted explained that another fix was needed for their hosting environment, and that the current feature only gets rid of “stuck” or one-off notices. They are working on extending this functionality to allow snoozing notifications for a set time frame.

I got excited when I found the new dismiss button at my admin dashboard. However after clicking it I was a little disappointed. Is this how it is supposed to work?

5 Likes

Seemed to work better in September :sweat_smile:

I’ve not had this pop up since it was released as I keep on top of the TC updates.

3 Likes

Hello, @Moin! :wave:

Thanks for the report. Since the error message is thoroughly unhelpful it’s hard to say exactly what happened here, but I’ve gone over the code and found at least two things that can cause an error:

  1. The notice was already dismissed by another admin or in another tab.
  2. The user trying to dismiss isn’t an admin. (This can’t be the problem above, because the error is different.)

I have added fixes for these two cases this morning. I’ll leave this topic open for a while to see if it happens again. :pray:


https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/29099

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/29103

3 Likes

Wouldn’t the notice still disappear in that case after some time?

2 Likes

Yes. It would disappear the next time you reload the page.

2 Likes

It’s still there

3 Likes

There was another fix needed for this to work on our hosting. :pray:

You can now dismiss this message. However, if the underlying problem isn’t fixed, it will come back when you reload the page.

This is known behaviour. The current feature is to get rid of “stuck” or one-off notices. We’re working on extending this functionality to let you “snooze” these notifications for a set time frame, so they won’t show up immediately again.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.