Display not yet earned badges on user's profile/badge page

We would like to show Users the badges they have not earned yet on their profile/summary badges page, to encourage them to try for those unearned badges.

Perhaps to show all badges, but grey out the not yet earned ones.
Is there a way or setting to do this?
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@soopersoo, Welcome to Meta! :smiley:

If a user clicks on the hamburger menu, then Badges, it will wisk the user away to a page showing every badge grouped according to different criteria. :slightly_smiling_face: Those badges the user already has are marked with a check mark at the upper left of each badge. The number at the upper right shows how many users already have that badge. Clicking on any badge will show the requirements for that particular badge and list the users who have it that badge.

4 Likes

I see, I wonder if we can show the full list of badges at the User’s personal summary/badge page (in addition to the Badges page), and grey out the ones that specific user has yet to achieve.

But thanks for your explanation of the Badges page :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Happy Birthday to you.
If for each thread get member ids then take badges https://meta.discourse.org/u/JimPas/badges.json and compare with https://meta.discourse.org/badges.json.
Then display it as a list as your birthday sign!

Is there an increase in the number of rq on the server? for each user on the post need 1 rq user badges ~ 500ms

3 Likes

@soopersoo, So you want to duplicate the Badges page from the hamburger menu to all the users’ profile pages - a combination of all possible badges with their acquired badges so indicated? That would save a user from moving out of their profile to the general badges page.

@Bcat, If many users have a lot of badges, then I’d say yes. It would be a big difference in retrieving one icon (birthday) and displaying it for one or several users, but to check every user’s badge count and display that next to their username, the requests will definitely increase - and the list of badges after the username could be quite long. In the case of a long list, how many badges should be displayed before the list is truncated? And which badges should take preference over being shown from those truncated? :thinking:

And thank you for the birthday wishes. Only 35 more to go to reach 102! :man_white_haired: :laughing:

3 Likes

@JimPas

So you want to duplicate the Badges page from the hamburger menu to all the users’ profile pages - a combination of all possible badges with their acquired badges so indicated? That would save a user from moving out of their profile to the general badges page.

Duplicating that part of the Badges page sounds like a way to do it.

If I understand the requests part correctly, I think we will omit showing the number of users who have obtained the badges. If this is possible.

oh yes, happy cake day! :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.