Display star ratings for Discourse pages in search engine results (SERPs)

Displaying star rating with Discourse is easy. I am happy to share, It can be done in simple few steps

Process

1. Setup Google Tag Manager for your Discourse Application

2. Add a new HTML Tag containing JSON-LD markup

3. Filter trigger by page view for particular URL

4. Publish, wait for 24 hrs to see the result in SERPs.

Thanks

7 Likes

Interesting. Where are you getting the rating from, Google?

1 Like

Yes, it is Google SERPs. :blush:

Looks interesting and useful for other types of integrations with tag manager. Can you show what to add in head section of Discourse?

Just by editing Theme, I added Tag Manager Script in the </head> section.

Oh but Discourse has a setting to do that for you. Search settings for GTM.

3 Likes

Good to know, we can add GTM script via Settings. Thanks for the hint about better way.
Updated, above quick guide.

@neil There is one problem when I add GTM script via Discourse settings, it places inside body.

Expected: It should be in the head.

discourse

Previously, it was recommended by Google to place in the body.
before

But now, they have updated their guidelines: “Paste this code as high in the <head> of the page as possible”.

Can we make this possible?

5 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes we should change it to be in the head. Added to my list.

5 Likes

“As high in the <head> as possible”

… :roll_eyes: I think they’re just being greedy there. A normal position in the head should be fine.

3 Likes

Depending on the kind of rating you’re after you can also use the ratings plugin, which automatically adds the average rating for a topic as structured data to the topic page html.

Example from a user here: Topic Ratings Plugin

6 Likes

@Gulshan_Kumar I updated our GTM support today so it adds the code to the head and the body according to the new instructions.

7 Likes

Currently I could not see star rating showing in SERP for above two post.

1. Bunny CDN Review.
  2. Obstetrics and Cynecology at studmed.dk

@Gulshan_Kumar - are you removing star rating in gtm or use any method?

The method which I suggested (using GTM+JSON-LD for star rating) works completely fine. You can continue to use it.

In my case, I intentionally removed from that post due to some personal reason. Nothing else.

1 Like