Do posts from a category that you are tracking show up in the summary email even if that category is suppressed via admin settings?

Do posts from a category that you are tracking show up in the summary email even if that category is suppressed via admin settings? If not, is there a way to still suppress categories from a digest email for the majority of users but can be overridden by individuals?

Categories added to the digest suppress categories site setting will not be included in the summary email for any users.

Muted categories do not get added to the summary email, so technically you could achieve this with the default categories muted site setting, but that would also mute the categories in the Discourse UI. The only other approach I can think of would be to use category security settings so that only users who could see the category would get its topics in the summary email.

1 Like

Thanks, Simon. I want everyone to be able to see the topics in the category if they go looking for it, so I don’t want to use category permissions. I also don’t want them to mute the categories because that function is a little too robust for what I’m going for. I’m experimenting with Theme component - Hide categories according to user group membership, though.

Perhaps the solution would be to make members of the group ‘Watch first post’ in the category. They’ll now get notified every time a post is made, right, and so they don’t need to see these posts in their summary emails? Not AS ideal, but acceptable, I think. Maybe in the future there will be a way to ‘Include topics in summaries’ option?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.