DO Storage and uploaded backups not showing

I’ve uploaded my backup via SSH to the new storage drive and it isn’t showing in the admin section.

My app.yml looks like this per the instructions here - Moving uploads and backups to DigitalOcean Block Storage

## The Docker container is stateless; all data is stored in /shared
volumes:
   - volume:
      host: /mnt/volume_lon1_01/shared/standalone
      guest: /shared
   - volume:
      host: /mnt/volume_lon1_01/shared/standalone/log/var-log
      guest: /var/log
    - volume:
      host: /var/postgres_data_discourse
      guest: /shared/postgres_data

This is frying my brain…

Did you rebuild the application after changing/adding those values?

1 Like

Yes I rebuilt the application after making changes

What is the directory supposed to be?

Backups or backups/default?

Currently the backup is in /backups

Will try restoring it via command line today if I can’t get it to show in the UI

That’s where. You can make a backup to see where they are stored.

It’s the same code so that won’t change anything

1 Like

I just made a backup but can’t find it anywhere, logs show…

[2022-03-01 10:05:53] Making sure '/var/www/discourse/public/backups/default' exists...

But it doesn’t exist! Where could the backup be?

I thought the backup would be on the new storage drive, what am I missing here?

Should ./launcher rebuild app reset the forum everytime?

I cannot upload anything, images etc either, I hate that this always breaks my build when I follow what I feel should be decent guides on doing things, I just wanted to add some storage to my existing hosting, now I’m without a website, so frustrating :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Started again using the “official guide” will create a snapshot when it’s installed so I can revert if needed

That’s the path inside the container.

I think the backup should be in

/mnt/volume_lon1_01/shared/standalone/backups/default

outside the container.

1 Like

That’s what I thought but it wasn’t there either I also couldn’t upload anything to posts, images etc just got an error, I don’t think that guide for storage works

Did you move all of that stuff to the new location? What do you see in

/mnt/volume_lon1_01/shared/standalone

and/or

/mnt/volume_lon1_01/shared/
1 Like

I followed the tutorial exact and everything was in that location, I’ve now started again.

Here is what I have done:

Followed this guide here: discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub

Uploaded my backup via SSH to backups/default

Created a snapshot of this point so I can revert if anything goes wrong

I have a volume mounted at /mnt/ ready for a move, when I moved the directories last time I found the following problems:

• Backup didn’t save to the new volume backup folder (actually couldn’t find it at all)
  • Image uploads just errored out, I’m assuming because they couldn’t upload to the new volume for whatever reason

Were uploads and backups tested with this tutorial here @techAPJ Moving uploads and backups to DigitalOcean Block Storage

On top of all this, I am having to wait for letsencrypt, I believe this takes a week as I didn’t realise a rebuild would try to get a new certificate each and every time, so I have exhausted my trys, I can not access the site at all until I have the SSL certs, http works for a minute but then it is forced to https meaning I can not register

I used these commands as the tutorial stated:

mv /var/discourse/shared/standalone/postgres_data /var/postgres_data_discourse
mv /var/discourse/shared /mnt/volume_lon1_01

That’s frustrating. Sorry. The instructions look right to me, but it’s the kind of thing where if you make one tiny misstep it doesn’t work.

Do you see the files if you enter the container and look in /shared/?

You can cheat the let’s encrypt limit if you do Setting up Let’s Encrypt with Multiple Domains.

1 Like

I haven’t moved anything to the new volume yet I want some clarity because I followed the steps exact and it didn’t work.

I don’t understand that post at all and I’m done messing with it for now, I’ll just wait because like you say, it’s frustrating, I just want my site back up and running and a snapshot of it before I do anything else

Btw @pfaffman thanks for your help so far, much appreciated

Then it can’t work, and you didn’t follow the directions; a safer way to do it would be to copy stuff to new volume, so you could more easily switch back and forth. Maybe the instructions would feel safer it if included copying the files and then deleting them (which is exactly what mv does since it’s moving across partitions.)

Maybe you didn’t see this part of my post?

1 Like

That does make it all make more sense!

I recommend that you rsync or cp the files to the new partition rather than mv them, which will make it easier to switch back to the original setup if something goes wrong. You can then just

./launcher destroy app
 ./launcher start app

To see if the new setup works. And switch back to a backup version of the app.yml if it doesn’t.

1 Like

That’s an excellent idea, thank you I’ll try this as soon as I can

1 Like