Do we need a help button on the composer?

There is a discobot tutorial? I have been using and advocating Discourse for many years and have never once come across this, or the idea that it is where one should go to learn about how to use Discourse. Even now, I have no idea (looking at our Discourse instance) how I would go about running this.

I thought I must be missing something, or maybe the discobot was introduced after I first started using Discourse, so I went to the Discourse New User Guide. No mention of either the discobot tutorial, or [details]. There is Markdown Tutorial - Introduction listed, but only for common mark.

@pfaffman I now see that option under the gear. It is not that I would not click the gear, but that I thought that I knew what the gear meant - to change settings. (I was wrong.) That combined with the assumption that there are probably a whole bunch of Discourse-specific features like [details] I convinced myself that they would not all be listed under some hidden menu, so started looking for a manual.

I would certainly have clicked on a help button if one of the buttons was obviously for help (i.e. a question mark). I would also have clicked on a button if it was obviously for inserting things. I just subconsciously had convinced myself that it could not be the gears…

Perhaps I am an old-school, but I really want an authoritative source to read where I can learn about all features and refer to inthe future. Does such a thing exist, or is learning through bots the new thing?

1 Like