"Do you want to install <community_name> on this device?"

Hey, just updated my discourse instance and upon logging back in I’m seeing a banner at the top asking me if I want to “Install” my community on this device. I clicked it like a good guinea pig, and it downloaded + installed a “Chrome App” that seems to do nothing.

I was a bit worried i’d been hacked or something, so came here to post, but I also see it on meta! Not seeing any documentation of it, but the fact that it auto-installs an app that doesn’t do anything feels kinda shady— I don’t want all of my users seeing this. Anyone know what it is?

4 Likes

You’re not hacked. It’s just a prompt to install the new PWA.

5 Likes

Gotcha— Any link to more documentation about the PWA? It doesn’t seem to do anything when launched for me.

Is there any way to suppress the notification, too? Or is it automatically displayed to everyone upon login after update?

Thanks!

2 Likes

:thinking: That was meant only for Mobile, my bad.

I will push an update to restrict it for Mobile later today.

5 Likes

Here’s some Information
https://meta.discourse.org/t/experimental-desktop-pwa-works-with-discourse

3 Likes

Why was it meant for only mobile I have it on myac because of the notification and I love how it acts as an appliction

2 Likes

Dunno I first saw that on desktop and much later on mobile. I use meta on both almost every day.

3 Likes

The reason we did it is so we don’t spam everyone with the default Chrome PWA install mini-info bar, which is only Mobile.

Our new banner only appears for logged-in users who are at least TL1, so our main objective is less spam for people arriving at a Discourse from Google results, or casually browsing a first time visited instance.

5 Likes

Ahh that makes sense why prompt for a install if the first time visiting

2 Likes

This is such a cool feature! Thanks for building it!!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.