Docker: copying bootstrap data to pipe caused "write init-p: broken pipe"

Hi there,

I am currently out of the country, and silly as I am, I wanted to update my discourse server - usually that goes without issues.

After the update, the forum didn’t come back up. I tried git pull and launcher rebuild but this error keeps coming up:

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:348: starting container process caused “process_linux.go:297: copying bootstrap data to pipe caused “write init-p: broken pipe””: unknown.
Your Docker installation is not working correctly

See: How do I debug docker installation issues

Searching the forum didn’t yield much - other than “Your docker isn’t working”. I didn’t change a thing, and the machine itself is dedicated for Discourse. I tried reinstalling docker, but nothing changed…

Any help to get the forum up and running again will be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

It’s running Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS on Digital Ocean (I wasn’t sure if it was safe to upgrade to 16.04)…

From the thread I ran:

root@forum:~# docker run --rm -i -a stdin -a stdout ubuntu echo 1
docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:348: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:297: copying bootstrap data to pipe caused \"write init-p: broken pipe\"": unknown.

Docker version:

# docker -v
Docker version 18.06.2-ce, build 6d37f41

Did you try a reboot on the server?

1 Like

Several, to no avail :confused:

If a simple

fails, docker is completely broken in your server. Can you share the output of df -h ?

1 Like

Sure. There should be enough space:

root@forum:~# df -h
Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                       3.9G  4.0K  3.9G   1% /dev
tmpfs                      799M  360K  799M   1% /run
/dev/disk/by-label/DOROOT  158G  117G   34G  78% /
none                       4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none                       5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none                       3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /run/shm
none                       100M     0  100M   0% /run/user

Is the docker service running? service docker start

1 Like

Yep, running:

root@forum:/var/discourse# service docker start
start: Job is already running: docker
root@forum:/var/discourse# ps aux | grep docker
root      1687  0.2  0.9 881840 76188 ?        Ssl  13:26   0:05 /usr/bin/dockerd --raw-logs
root      1701  0.2  0.4 564568 35080 ?        Ssl  13:26   0:05 docker-containerd --config /var/run/docker/containerd/containerd.toml

I can’t figure it out. Could I create a new server (and use Ubuntu 18.04) and just install docker and copy over /var/discourse ?

Yes. That should work.

1 Like

I hope so. Currently copying over a crapton of data :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It’ll take a while :confused:

1 Like

If you’d be satisfied with the latest backup you could copy just that and the containers directory.

I need the latest of everything … It looks like it’s working - Waiting for DNS to propagate fully :slight_smile:

The problem is the version of the kernel and docker. It’s a security updete from docker

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-5736

6 Likes

Man, I wish I had seen that… I spent 5 hours debugging, searching, then creating a new droplet and copying everything over and waiting for DNS to propagate :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Oh, well, now I have a 18.04 droplet running the forum…

4 Likes

29 posts were split to a new topic: Running docker 18.09.2 (docker update) broke my forum and it is not loading

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.