Docker install, endless "downloading base image"

I installed docker on my laptop. I get as far as logging into the docker with “vagrant ssh” and then I execute

vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant$ ./launcher start

WARNING: We are about to start downloading the Discourse base image
This process may take anywhere between a few minutes to an hour, depending on your network speed

Please be patient

Unable to find image ‘discourse/discourse:1.0.17’ locally
1.0.17: Pulling from discourse/discourse
a64038a0eeaa: Pulling fs layer
ccf2399b95e2: Pulling fs layer
158b4b978387: Pulling fs layer
a3ed95caeb02: Pulling fs layer
a3ed95caeb02: Download complete
a64038a0eeaa: Verifying Checksum
a64038a0eeaa: Download complete
a64038a0eeaa: Pull complete
a64038a0eeaa: Pull complete

That was over night. Does this take days?

1 Like

I used the stand alone yml in which I set SMTP to my gmail account and discourse hostname to localhost.

I can log into the virtual box running image and confirm it is still running.

I followed this install guide except I installed to docker on my laptop instead of on Digital Ocean. Internet is too patchy where I live to develop online. I’d be offline for a day some times.

Just being curious, why are you installing Discourse with Docker on your machine? If you just want to fiddle with :discourse: locally, it’s much easier to do the developer install.

1 Like

When I tried “Discourse as your rails app” I got stuck. I couldn’t find standalone.yml file or the containers directory. I thought that the developer install had been abandoned.

You don’t need docker for the developer install. Just vagrant if you’re running Windows (or want to run your dev env in a VM). Alternatively you can follow any of the advanced setups.

I will take a look again. I am using linux (Fedora 23).