Docker version not supported problem

Hi,

I am changed smtp settings and trying to rebuild app.

cd /var/discourse
./launcher rebuild app

Output: ERROR: Docker version 1.9.1 not supported, please upgrade to at least 17.03.1, or recommended 17.06.2

What can i do? Any suggestions?

Have you tried upgrade your Docker to at least 17.03.1? If you aren’t sure how to do that, run uname -a and paste the results here.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for the answer.

Here is the result:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade should do the trick. It all really depends on how you installed Docker to begin with.

1 Like

Is there a risk that something will disrupt Discourse’s work after the update?

There is always a risk of these sorts of things, but if you want to rebuild the app, you’ll need to upgrade Docker.

My recommendation is that you communicate to your community that you are doing some maintenance, do a backup if you haven’t already, then do the upgrade.

1 Like

Kernel 3.13.0-147 strikes me as a bit old?

4 Likes

Yes.

In this case, do we need to make a separate update for the kernel? Or is the following command enough?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade as well? I’d check Ubuntu docs to be sure.

4 Likes

I am just trying to change mail service and smptp settings on app.yml. Is there any other way to validate these settings (app.yml) without updating?

For security reasons, you really should be running the latest versions of the software, but that’s your decision…

According to How to reload configuration after app.yml changes?, if you are only changing settings in the env section of the app.yml and you don’t need that env for bootstrapping, ./launcher restart app should work to reload the SMTP settings.

4 Likes

./launcher restart app does not work too. Error:Docker version 1.9.1 not supported.

What else can we do?

The problem is that launcher rebuild pulls down the latest code from GitHub, which isn’t compatible with your docker version. It can be avoided if you haven’t already run the rebuild, but in this situation the only solution is likely to move forwards. As @yanokwa pointed out you really don’t want to be running super old OS or Discourse versions, there are a raft of security problems when doing so.

What happened when you attempted dist-upgrade as shown above?

4 Likes

I did not use this command. I am looking for a way to solve it without updating. (For now. :slight_smile: )

You’ve updated Discourse, which means you need to now fix docker.

dist-upgrade could achieve this. Assuming you have copies of your backups and this is the only app on the server there’s little risk at this point. Worst case you will just need to re-run through the 30 minute install guide and restore a backup.

Was it you who built the server? Do you recall how it was built if so? The more information you can give us here, the quicker we can find you a solution.

4 Likes

I am not built the server. I am created snapshot and i am working on it.

I am used these commands to upgrade docker and kernel version:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

After upgrading Docker version still 1.9.1 :frowning:

I tried to upgrade Docker version with this command:

wget -qO- https://get.docker.com/ | sh

When i run docker run -it --rm hello-world command here is the output:

Unable to find image 'hello-world:latest' locally
latest: Pulling from library/hello-world
1b930d010525: Pull complete 
Digest: sha256:f9dfddf63636d84ef479d645ab5885156ae030f611a56f3a7ac7f2fdd86d7e4e
docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:348: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:301: running exec setns process for init caused \"exit status 23\"": unknown.

When i run ./launcher rebuild app here is the output:

WARNING: We are about to start downloading the Discourse base image
This process may take anywhere between a few minutes to an hour, depending on your network speed

Please be patient

Unable to find image 'discourse/base:2.0.20200220-2221' locally
2.0.20200220-2221: Pulling from discourse/base
bc51dd8edc1b: Pulling fs layer
27ae5d171719: Pulling fs layer
bc51dd8edc1b: Verifying Checksum
bc51dd8edc1b: Download complete
bc51dd8edc1b: Pull complete
27ae5d171719: Verifying Checksum
27ae5d171719: Download complete
27ae5d171719: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:b3acee0b655f071e98205dbd12fa78b95a6dd4038d27f1259177f76ab2efe4f7
Status: Downloaded newer image for discourse/base:2.0.20200220-2221
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:348: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:301: running exec setns process for init caused \"exit status 23\"": unknown.
Your Docker installation is not working correctly

See: https://meta.discourse.org/t/docker-error-on-bootstrap/13657/18?u=sam

You might need to reboot after upgrading docker.

1 Like

After reboot same output:

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:348: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:301: running exec setns process for init caused \"exit status 23\"": unknown.
Your Docker installation is not working correctly

See: https://meta.discourse.org/t/docker-error-on-bootstrap/13657/18?u=sam