Does enabling logging in with Google, Facebook etc. allow said companies to track the user?

I am VERY new to discourse and even running a community, but it seems like this platform will make it pretty straight forward (thanks!)

My question is, if I enable logging in with third party services like Google, Facebook etc. will said companies get access to track users on the site? I am personally trying to “de-google” my life and have recently left all META platforms so I am partly concerned about forcing these option on to the uses of the site, by simply enabling them

2 Likes

They will necessarily know that you logged in there. It will not let them track what users do there (unless they have analytics, perhaps?).

If you’re trying to “de-google” your life, then logging in with Google isn’t going to be part of that.

4 Likes

Ok thanks - I was worried that enabling a script (?) for third party log ins, would also allow them to place trackers to measure what the user and other users were doing on the site

Personally I don’t have Facebook, and I never log in using Google, but I am considering allowing it for my users, if it does not track the rest of the community too

1 Like