Don't list members having the same badges

Is it nowadays possible to hide the list of users owning a certain badge for non-admin users?

this was dicussed in Hide badge user list? but its years ago.

1 Like

Why does the list need to be hidden? I am unsure what the goal is here, what are you trying to accomplish?

1 Like

Privacy is the reason. ‘They’ don’t want to see a list of all users which would be easily possible by just using the first badge you earn.

2 Likes

Hi, I just found this topic because we are after the same feature.

Years ago there was a long discussion about privacy that ended with the creation of a setting to disable the user directory. Good! However, if badges are available, anyone can click the Basic trust level badge and find pretty much everybody who matters.

While acquiring badges is cool and knowing how many more users got the same badge is interesting and exciting, knowing who these users are is less to no relevant. In social sites why not, but in community where individual privacy is more relevant it may become too intrusive. Yes, it is still possible to scrap data of users posting, but it is a higher barrier than the badge route.

Responding to myself, and maybe this answer was evident to some (but not to me).

The Badges tab in the admin interface provides a lot of control over every single badge. Admins can enable or disable every badge, and they can also list it on the badges page or not.

Furthermore, a simple CSS rule hides the user lists, and (looking at the HTML source of the resulting page) gathering that data isn’t trivial, and maybe not possible, I’m not even sure.

.badges-granted {
    display: none;
}

For these reasons, the current setup works fine for us, and probably fine for most as well.

1 Like