Editing wiki posts at same time as someone else sometimes loses revisions

It’s not exactly what I had in mind either but it is definitely better than the old “silently overwrite” behavior, so I guess we can improve it more later?

1 Like

A small follow-up on the edit conflict feature.

Now the edit conflict shows as soon as a draft is saved (every 2 seconds or so).

The other logic (the one that is triggered on submitting the changes) is still there.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/6585

10 Likes

Sooo nice! :heart_eyes:

One very small (I hope?) tweak… instead of the :warning: can we show the small avatar of the user who the (most recent, since in theory there could be an infinite number of editing users :scream:) edit conflict is with? My thinking is, this would allow you to ping that person and ask them about their edits?

7 Likes

Is it outside the realm of possibility to diff and compare edits in the same way that we compare versions today?

We’re assuming that changes will conflict and work will be lost, but the possibility exists that two editors are making approximately equal changes.

It’s possible but wayyyy more work for not so much added value. We’re just ensuring no work is lost.

It is more work certainly as @zogstrip said but yeah we could diff against the original in both cases and just apply the diff leaving us still to deal with potential merge conflicts.

But I feel this is an optimization for later, not one for today, would far prefer investing in making other aspects of wiki better.

4 Likes

Just asking, why not make the Wiki a collaborative real-time editor like Google Docs?

I’d say the answer is 'cause it’s bloody complicated` and maybe outside of a scope? But I would for sure love that :slight_smile:

10 Likes

have you seen the collude plugin? it works reasonably well.

5 Likes