Ellipsis (dot dot dot) at the end of a title is removed

Hello,

Most people use ... (dot dot dot) instead of (the proper ellipsis mark), but dots are automatically removed at the end of a title.
Would that be possible to implement a specific case so that “dot dot dot” in titles are no longer removed (or even better: automatically replaced by ellipsis) ?

Cheers

While not specifically for an ellipsis, we do have the title prettify setting, which when disabled would allow for ... (it would also enable other things in titles like all caps and !!!! or ???? so you’d want to keep an eye out for bad titles)

You’d likely need a plugin if you wanted to check for ... and replace it with

Are you running into titles that should have an ellipsis quite often? Our reasoning was that there isn’t much of a difference between

I'm not sure how to write a good title...

and

I'm not sure how to write a good title

7 Likes

Thank you for your answer.

I agree that a full stop makes no difference at the end of a title (and is not used, as a general rule, at the end of titles, headings or captions).
Conversely, ellipsis has several meanings and will definitely make a difference if present:
I sell a bike, a pair of skis, (slightly weird, is there something missing? And why merging these two items in a single topic?)
I sell a bike, a pair of skis, ... (ok, probably selling all my sports gear, there are plenty of things and I write a single message for everything, that makes sense).

I think there are quite a lot of examples, where ellipsis has an unfinished thought meaning, where a title would completely lost its meaning if ellipsis is absent:
This software is not the most user friendly one, but
This software is not the most user friendly one, but...

To my point of view, it would clearly be an improvement to the actual title prettify settings to allow this specific punctuation.

2 Likes

This will not be happening. If you want that odd case, disable the rule.

3 Likes

i will rather tune it so that it behaves exactly the way i want.
Thanks for your help

If at the end of a title to a new post, the user adds three ASCII periods, they will get silently removed, changing the meaning of the user’s title.

He might never notice what happened.

We do prefer titles to be descriptive, so ending in an ellipsis is generally not preferred.

It comes from title prettify:

And, just to note, you have a tendency to refer to all users as ‘he’. If you could be less gendered/perhaps not use the third-person so frequently it would be most appreciated. :pray:

5 Likes

Well I guess this will just mean we’ll all have to use this Unicode character “…” .

But I’m telling you three dots is different than an accidental extra single period or even two periods.

Otherwise you might as well remove “?”, “!” And other significant punctuation.

I’ve just spotted this other one in the Similar Topics, so I’m going to combine them together. :+1: