Email no longer works

Hi all,

Im stuck in that my discourse will not send email. I bootstrapped my discourse, configured the main account using developer email and received the email. I started to import my old phpbb, but realised I needed to prune some user so I had to start over.

My steps:

• delete /shared/* & stopped the docker container.
  • rebuild using ./launcher bootstrap app
  • tried to register using the developers email, but this time I’m not getting any email.
  • ./launcher enter app and tested SMTP - telnet smart.server.com (as used in app,ml) and successfully received the email.

UPDATE

The problem was due to my importing loads of posts from a older phpbb3 forum. Upon app rebuild, the discourse/lib/tasks/posts.rake would run and id had to download 10000’s of images from the web to replace embedded image links. This seems to take priority over registration emails/

Ive alsed tried to add yahoo as my SMTP and same problem. How weird…

See the email troubleshooting guide. We also strongly recommend you use Mandrill for mail, which is free for up to 12k sends per month.

thanks Jeff,

I configured mandrill in the end, but I had the same issue. Not sure why this matters, but this could it working.

I confirmed app.yml, then ./launcher bootstrap app.
At this point it was still picking up the old email addresses, but the correct URL for the site…
I then ran ./launcher rebuild app and it picked up the new dev emails and I could receive emails.

1 Like