Email notification granularity

Thank you for making such a wonderful product.

I did search through the planned and to-do and upcoming.

I am a member of many forums and many groups. As I understand it, the second option (see below pic) includes both specic @username and group membership email notifications. I would love a way to split that up.

Request: Take the second option below extremely literally i.e. remove group membership. Email notifications only when tagged directly and not when tagged as part of a group membership. Create another option for group membership, see Follow-on after the jump.

Follow on request: Ability to choose which groups I do receive membership from. For example, moderators, “coaches”, all-stars, or other’s with greater responsibility might want email notifications on that group but come to the site frequently enough that they don’t want email notifications of all the groups. Or, a “normal” user might want working group membership emails to go through but other group membership to be handled at the forum.

Thank you for your time and effort.

3 Likes

You can set notification level per group. Look in the upper right corner for the bell icon.

1 Like

@codinghorror I think there may have been a miscommunication or I don’t understand.

I’m talking about email notifications. I’m under the impression that the notifications under the bell are for on site notifications. Are you saying there is a way to modify email notifications under the bell?

2 Likes

There are two concepts here

• When do you get emailed

• When do you get a Discourse notification

They are two different and somewhat unrelated topics.

Note that Discourse won’t email you about a notification if you are browsing the site and clicking / tapping around – because that would be double-notifying you. There are also some notifications that Discourse doesn’t think are worthy of an email notification, ever.

The general philosophy is that

• you will get notified when someone is speaking directly to you.

• you will get an email about that notification if it is significant (e.g. someone is talking directly to you), and you are away from the website – no devices are actively pinging the website while logged in as you.

It is possible to dial this to 11 if you want an email for everything. You might have a look at the email preferences in your user profile to get a sense of where you want that to be for your account. But out of the box, it works as I describe :point_up_2:.

1 Like

Gotcha. I had it wrong it my head that the two systems were completely independent. No, the email notifications are a follow-on of some of the site notifications. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

1 Like