Hi all, as member of the openstreetmap I found several problems with disourse, which is used for their online forum now.
I was told that the mailing list interface should work very well. However, I found a but that threading becomes broken when you reply by e-mail. Then a new message ID is generated instead of re-using the original ones
The main concept is ok - it used e.g.
format: thread msg-id in-reply-id
the initial thread
1.1 topic/851/2747. topic/851
Message 2747 in thread 851 is a reply to initial topic 851, as indicated by the headers in-reply-to: and references:
1.1.1 ee76eed4-a255-6d1c-0f5b-59da9772f230@gmx topic/851/2747.
That’s an e-mail reply to topic/851/2747 with message id ee76eed4-a255-6d1c-0f5b-59da9772f230@gmx
184.108.40.206 topic/851/2749. ee76eed4-a255-6d1c-0f5b-59da9772f230@gmx
Here the forum reply 2749 threads properly to my message-id ee76eed4-a255-6d1c-0f5b-59da9772f230@gmx
220.127.116.11.1 07289952-0e88-c08a-ea66-b34774c8554e@gmx topic/851/2749.
…and so on
However, when I do reply in msg-id ee76eed4-a255-6d1c-0f5b-59da9772f230@gmx to the previous topic, I reference
References:… <topic/851/2747. bae9c8af72f1f7ef599f1bcd @OSM>
But my own message (a HTML forum version) is sent back to me with
<topic/851/2747. ae42d62b1252f1572b2a9a07 @OSM>
Do you notice the difference within the message id of the references?
The forum’s system does break message ids within references!
This results in broken threads with
1.2 topic/851/2748. topic/851/2747.
1.3 topic/851/2751. topic/851/2749.
where 1.2 is the forum version of 1.1.1 (new message-id topic/851/2748.e6be773dbcc599ad5f35bae5@OSM instead of my original message-id)
and 1.3 is the forum version of 18.104.22.168.1
I did not verify yet whether others receive crippled threads - since they would not receive my original reply with message-id of
but would also receive the forum version
1.2 with message id topic/851/2748.e6be773dbcc599ad5f35bae5@OSM, while also receiving reply
22.214.171.124 with references to ee76eed4-a255-6d1c-0f5b-59da9772f230@gmx
I have crippled the domain names here since this forum translates those message IDs to mailto links and thus exceeds my limit of permitted links