Emails not sending properly

So I’ve got everything set up except my email, and it’s just returning this very basic error I can’t figure out how to fix.

Rendered layouts/email_template.html.erb (Duration: 0.2ms | Allocations: 30)
Delivered mail d8a282d1-d293-4f95-b613-de340fb94bdb@banlist.inobservatus.xyz (465.2ms)
Job exception: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: sslv3 alert handshake failure
1 Like

It looks like the ssl certificate for your mail server is invalid. Can you fix that?

2 Likes

I have no clue how to do this.

My VPS is routed through my webserver. Do I need to add the SSL on the website or on the VPS? (I’m using DigitalOcean)

Also, for the SMTP username and password - is that just a username and password for one of the emails on my domain?

Unrelated, but the email has the format system@example.com. Do I need to change anything since its not on discourse.example.com?

Maybe it’s a little hard to guess as there are many ways your mail server might be configured. If sounds like it is accessible via many host name but only one has a valid certificate.

If you run discourse-setup it’ll prompt you for the sending address.

1 Like

I got the SSL set up. What would the SMTP username and password be for a normal installation?

I’m still getting the SSL error in the first post so I’m unsure if that is related to the mailserver’s certificate or the VPS’s.