Embedding video in published pages

Hi, the primary use case for Pages in my context is to embed videos that can be played on the page itself.

Imagine a Discourse page that basically allows a community owner to replicate the YouTube experience. Embed a Video at the Top, have Discourse discussions underneath. But… you get all the benefits of having the conversation at your own community, with Discourse moderation tools, spam and troll protection, user registration, etc. And it works equally well for free content and paid content.

In distinction to just using the Topics, the Discourse Pages approach allows for much more styling to meet brand guidelines.

Thank you, as always, for your consideration.

4 Likes

You can display videos from various video services within discourse posts already. Just put the URL on its own line.

Page Publishing doesn’t show the replies or interactive features… only the first post in the topic.

5 Likes

Yes, we currently use that approach.

For instance, we have live-streamed conferences with multiple video sessions. I’d like to display them in our community on a Page that is nicely branded. Then as they want to discuss a session, provide a link so they can click over to the discussion for that session.

This enables our Discourse community to be a one-stop shop for everything related to an online conference: secure permissioning of the content, viewing the content on a branded page, and discussing the content.

3 Likes

How would that nicely branded page be different from a discourse topic page? Can you give a screenshot to illustrate what you mean?

4 Likes

Hi, we’re still working on it (@RGJ and @michaeld are amazing!), but here’s one concept:

6 Likes

What about a video gallery type of page? Like a grid of embedded videos. Clicking into a video brings up the video with Discourse comments below it.

3 Likes

Hi @Bill, that could be interesting. Could you point me to some examples? Or a mockup?

I think I like the idea of each video in its own section. That creates a structure and clarity that is aesthetically pleasing to my eye at least.

2 Likes

Hi @joffreyjaffeux, could you give us any context to the scope of the Page Publishing feature?

It just seems like such a breakthrough feature for Discourse because it allows Discourse to take on some of the capacities of a website. This is huge for presenting content in a very particular way.

At the same time, it is happening within Discourse, and so it is integrated with the world class permissioning system and discussion capacity.

It is - potentially - the best of both worlds.

In particular, one powerful use case for this feature is for online conferences. The visual design needs to be part of wowing participants. Displaying videos and livestream is central. But the interaction opportunities that Discourse provides is superior to the ‘conference’ technologies.

My take is that enabling communities to host online conferences - with a more fully featured Discourse Page Publishing functionality - creates an incredible dynamic to boost the role of Discourse communities in many organizations.

5 Likes