Enable a CDN for your Discourse

cdn

(Erick Guan) #13

I wonder how to deal with CDN provider does not support https…

There is a cloud storage provider can just acted as CDN. But their spider don’t like SSL. There are APIs for upload assets. I would think the easiest way is to write a plugin to monitor public folder and upload them instantly…

(Kane York) #14

That sounds like a push CDN to me, which was supported in the past but not currently.

(Ionuț Staicu) #19

This should also work with other CDNs? Like S3?

(Jeff Atwood) #20

S3 is not a CDN, but it should work with Amazon CloudFront and any other Pull compatible CDN.

If you want an inexpensive CDN, I think MaxCDN might be what you’re looking for. It is a pull-compatible CDN.

However, going to Fastly’s website from a quick google search led me to Fastly’s pricing page in a snap.

MaxCDN goes by a somewhat different pay model (as far as I can see in comparing with Fastly) which is easier to budget with.

(Nick) #35

I’m new to Discourse and I’ve been trying to configure it with Cloudflare. This tutorial focuses on fastly. I have used Cloudflare on my Wordpress sites in the past and it was quite simple. Typically, Cloudflare scans your website and all you have to do is change your DNS to what Cloudflare provides. My question is… do the same steps I just mentioned apply to discourse? If yes… what so I do with the CDN URL in app.yml? Thanks guys.

(Jeff Atwood) #36

You do not have to spend time designating which files to cache. CloudFlare’s technology builds the cache for you based on your traffic and what objects on your site are safe to serve from the edge.

Just be sure you do not enable any JavaScript weirdness / modifications in CloudFlare, as it will break the crap out of Discourse if you do.

(Jesse Perry) #37

Anyone have any experience with Cachefly?

They’re running a pay-as-you-go plan with no minimum spend, which seems to be the only one of their peers, since Fastly has a minimum $50/mo spend requirement. CacheFly | 404 Error

I’ve heard their name often before and I think they’re up there in the top tier CDN? Just checking others’ experience first…

(Sam Saffron) #38

Cachefly are good, have never used them but heard plenty good things

(Cody Arsenault) #39

Does anyone have any experience in using KeyCDN with Discourse?

They support HTTP/2, have 22 PoPs, and are amongst the cheapest CDN on the market (starting $0.04/GB). If all works well with Discourse it would definitely be something worth looking into.

(Tien Nguyen) #40

Yes, I using KeyCDN on my discourse: http://reactvn.org/. It’s working perfectly.

These are the steps to use KEYCDN:

1. Register [KEYCDN] 1 account: Fill in your e-mail can register, you can using without having to recharge.

2. Create a pull zone: Create a Pull Zone - KeyCDN Support

3. Create a Zonealias: Create a Zonealias - KeyCDN Support

4. Config Discourse: Modify app.yml, DISCOURSE_CDN_URL point to your CDN URL or an alias. Enable a CDN for your Discourse

(@SenpaiMass) #41

Any one knows how to configure with http://www.coralcdn.org/ ?

(Cody Arsenault) #43

Is there any way to change the CDN url without having to rebuild the Docker container or is updating the app.yml and rebuilding currently the only way?

(Jeff Atwood) #44

No, that is the only way.

Why not use CloudFlare? They don’t charge for bandwidth at all. (Plus a bunch of other features, like free SSL).

You can use Cloudflare along with another CDN. You don’t get full CDN advantages with Cloudflare unless you pay, and for serving up lots of images, attachments, or other media you’ll want a dedicated CDN to reduce the server load.

(徐徐浩) #58

after enable CDN, i can not visit my site any more.

I have this error in my log:

nginx: [emerg] host not found in upstream "avatars.discourse.org" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/discourse.conf:247

(Sam Saffron) #59

hmm, can you resolve avatars from your host (or container)

(Arta) #60

Do you recommend MaxCDN? I am already their customer so it would be nice to keep things in a place.

(Sam Saffron) #61

Sure, we use them for some of our sites, reliable CDN