End of Life for Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty and Discourse 1.9.0.beta10?

I raised this in the how-to topic linked to the upgrade page, but it’s probably better off here.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-do-i-manually-update-discourse-and-docker-image-to-latest/23325/111?u=fearlessfrog

Essentially I’m trying to work out if I need to update to Ubuntu 16 to run the latest stable build of Discourse now? A good topic for doing that looks like this one:

This looks like it is due to the latest docker-ce version for 14.04 being below what is required to run the latest Discourse stable image. Not sure, so any help appreciated.

2 Likes

Unlikely, just install a newer version of Docker and you should be OK.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response.

Ok, so essentially my docker-ce update info was old, as in the better way to update Docker is just via this?

curl -fsSL get.docker.com -o get-docker.sh
sh get-docker.sh

…and then let it get on with it?

Ok, all good. Here’s what I did incase it helps others who had an older docker.

wget -qO- https://get.docker.com/ | sh

This will update docker, or rather do the commands of adding the key and repository to the latest binaries for your system. Note: it will try to scare you with this:

Warning: the "docker" command appears to already exist on this system.

As I already had a snapshot, I went for it and it seems ok. I rerun the update for Discourse like this:

./launcher rebuild app

After that I was lower on disk apparently (after all those dist and apt updates I guess):

Status: Downloaded newer image for discourse/base:2.0.20171008
You have less than 5GB of free space on the disk where /var/lib/docker is located. You will need more space to continue

I cleared up some space with this:

apt-get autoremove

After that (it’ll take a while) then a launcher rebuild app completed and we’ll all good.

14 Likes

This is a bit of a noob question, but what what do you type in after getting this message?

# Executing docker install script, commit: 490beaa
Warning: the "docker" command appears to already exist on this system.

If you already have Docker installed, this script can cause trouble, which is
why we're displaying this warning and provide the opportunity to cancel the
installation.

If you installed the current Docker package using this script and are using it
again to update Docker, you can safely ignore this message.

You may press Ctrl+C now to abort this script.
+ sleep 20
+ sh -c apt-get update -qq >/dev/null

Just copy/paste the “sh -c apt-get update -qq >/dev/null” part?

I could be mistaken, but you shouldn’t have to type anything. It looks like it will sleep for 20 seconds, then run the apt-get command. The script is simply giving you time to stop it from proceeding.

3 Likes

Ah, you’re right. Didn’t think it was doing anything. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 2431 days. New replies are no longer allowed.