Error 500 when editing the "closed topic" post

I just closed a topic, but meant to post a message explaining why before. I figured I’d edit the “closed topic” post to do so – but when I hit “save”, I received an error 500. It does seem to have persisted my changes, though.

Looking through the logs, I think that the relevant entry is:

ActiveRecord::RecordNotUnique (PG::UniqueViolation: ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "unique_post_links"
DETAIL:  Key (topic_id, post_id, url)=(60, 791, /c/17-q-a) already exists.
: INSERT INTO "topic_links" ("post_id", "user_id", "topic_id", "url", "domain", "internal", "created_at", "updated_at") VALUES (791, 1, 60, '/c/17-q-a', 'community.seqta.com.au', 't', '2016-09-14 05:25:43.149457', '2016-09-14 05:25:43.149457') RETURNING "id")
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-0.10.1/lib/patches/db/pg.rb:93:in `exec'

I just tried reproducing this on try.discourse.org, and couldn’t. Here’s exactly what I did:

• Signed up as a new user
  • Created a new topic (https://try.discourse.org/t/this-is-a-test-topic/455)
  • Made myself an admin (since new users can’t close topics), via rake admin:create (rank hath its privileges)
  • Reloaded the topic page
  • Closed the topic via the newly-appeared wrench on the right
  • Clicked the “Edit” pencil on the right hand side of the “Closed 1 min ago” post
  • Put some text in
  • Clicked “Save”

No errors were reported, and no HTTP responses with a 5xx status code are in the logs for try.

What steps did you do differently to make the problem happen?

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure. :confused: The log entry does reference a different category, and I did have category references in my topic – the exact text was:

:champagne: We've now shipped our :books: LearningField integration! I'll close this topic so that the voters get their votes back.

If you have feedback on this work, it'd be great if you shared it -- ask questions in #q-a, make more suggestions in #suggestions, and help others get up to speed with LearningField in #how-to. Let everyone know how you're using it in #in-the-classroom.

Could it be the category references causing the issue?

I just did similar for both a Closed topic and an Archived topic on my localhost install.

I tried with both an emoji and a link to another public topic.

No repro. for me either time.

I did not try using the bottom Admin wrench

1 Like

Hmm, that’s very odd. Seeing as everything appears to be working as it should now, I’m happy to write this one off as a random fluke. :slight_smile:

I wonder if I close this topic, then edit the close post, if it’ll explode on me… :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t remember any of the details, but there was a type of conflict problem before (since fixed) that happened when the editor was open in both a Profile and a Topic at the same time.

I tried to force an error by opening a reply in a topic, minimizing the editor, then going to and editing the Close small action post. - no repro

Might you have had the editor open elsewhere at the same time?

1 Like