Error importing from vanilla: invalid byte sequence in UTF-8

I’m trying to import from a Vanilla forum using the instructions posted here. However, I get the following error when I run the vanilla.rb import script:

Loading existing groups...
Loading existing users...
Loading existing categories...
Loading existing posts...
Loading existing topics...
parsing file...
reading file...
Traceback (most recent call last):
	5: from script/import_scripts/vanilla.rb:254:in `<main>'
	4: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:47:in `perform'
	3: from script/import_scripts/vanilla.rb:17:in `execute'
	2: from script/import_scripts/vanilla.rb:37:in `parse_file'
	1: from script/import_scripts/vanilla.rb:72:in `read_file'
script/import_scripts/vanilla.rb:72:in `gsub': invalid byte sequence in UTF-8 (ArgumentError)

I’ve tried changing the MySQL database character set to UTF8 following the instructions here and then re-exporting the porter file, but that didn’t resolve the issue. Any suggestions?

1 Like

You either need to keep trying to get it to really be UTF-8 or modify the import script to do it. It is a frustrating problem.

2 Likes

@dpkoch Did you ever figure this out?

You can google stuff about UTF-8 encoding. You need to do something that will coerce the table into UTF-8. The time that I did it, there were further complications because some rows were in one format and others in another format. I think that I did some nonsense where I coerced things on a value-by-value basis.

1 Like

Sounds awful… We’ll have to tinker with the table encoding and see what happens. Thanks!

Oh. It’s aweful. You best bet, based on a vague recollection of a single time I did this over a year ago, is to play around with as many different conversions as you can until you can finally hit on one that works for all or most data. I think that I did a bunch of one-by-one transformations that ended up being a waste of time when I stumbled on some conversion that worked for all (most?) data.

Here is what I did. Use at your own risk. (This was vbulletin, FWIW).

def char_map(raw_original)
    raw = raw_original.dup
    debug = false # (raw.length > 50)

# windows 1252
    all = ''
    win_encoded = ''

### WIN1252 encoding
    win_encoded = ''
    begin
      win_encoded = raw.force_encoding('utf-8').encode("Windows-1252",
                            invalid: :replace, undef: :replace, replace: ""
                           ).force_encoding('utf-8').scrub
    rescue => e
      puts "\n#{'-'*50}\nWin1252 failed for \n\n#{raw}\n\n"
      win_encoded = ''
    end

### ISO 8859 encoding
    iso_encoded = ''
    if all.length == 0 && win_encoded.length > 0 && win_encoded != raw
      all = (debug ? "Win1252--" : '') + win_encoded
    else
      all = raw
    end
    all = old_char_map(all)
    all
  end

That code is used within the import script or on the server/database side?

In the import script. I don’t like to mess with the database.

Somewhere you call this function on raw to fix raw (and maybe titles?).

Ok, thanks very much! This should give me a huge head-start in debugging this.

1 Like

We got this to work by adding a simple command to encode the file as UTF-8 while reading it, using something like encode"UTF-8" on lines 76-80 of the vanilla.rb import script.

I’m just waiting for confirmation on the exact syntax from the guy who did it via command line. I will update this when it I have it.

1 Like

Here is what he used to fix this, starting on line 76 of vanilla.rb

def read_file
  puts "reading file..."
  string = [File.read](http://file.read/)(@vanilla_file)
    .force_encoding('UTF-8').encode("UTF-8").gsub("\\N", "")
    .force_encoding('UTF-8').encode("UTF-8").gsub(/\\$\n/m, "\\n")
    .force_encoding('UTF-8').encode("UTF-8").gsub("\\,", ",")
    .force_encoding('UTF-8').encode("UTF-8").gsub(/(?<!\\)\\"/, '""')
    .force_encoding('UTF-8').encode("UTF-8").gsub(/\\\\\\"/, '\\""')
  [StringIO.new](http://stringio.new/)(string)
end
1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: How to edit an import script on the production server?

This doesn’t work. Same error.

You need to Google about encoding and figure out your to fix your broken encoding.

Hi @ddeveloper,

I worked through this process just a couple of months ago (and I am not a developer :slightly_smiling_face:) and managed to successfully migrate a self-hosted Vanilla forum to self-hosted Discourse. One thing that was key for me, was making sure when doing the data export with Vanilla Porter, to select “Vanilla 2” as the Source Forum Type in the first drop-down menu.

I used the Vanilla Porter 2.6 version available for download as a zip file here: Vanilla Porter 2.6 RC1 — Vanilla Forums instead of the 2.5 version linked in Migrate a Vanilla forum to Discourse.

If I remember correctly, I didn’t hit the UTF-8 error again when using the newer Vanilla Porter script and the “Vanilla 2” forum type.

If those two suggestions don’t make a difference for your import, please provide a few details about the steps you’ve taken so far and exactly what you’re seeing. Sometimes there are slight variations to “same error” that can make a big difference when troubleshooting.

5 Likes

I’ve followed the same guide except using the porter version 2.6. I will the export file from version 2.6 and update here.

Okay, I’ve tried porter 2.6 and it resulted in same UTF-8 error:

So far, I’ve followed this guide: Migrate a Vanilla forum to Discourse

Everything went well until this UTF-8 encoding error. Some people have resolved this issue. I’ve tried those, and it didn’t work out for me.

I tried @Nick_Chomey 's solution above; trying to enforce utf-8 encoding while reading the txt file but to my vain it didn’t work as well.

Just to be sure, which Source Forum Type did you select in the Vanilla Porter drop down menu?

Could you tell us what kind of computer you are using? Instructions to convert your file to UTF-8 encoding will vary.

1 Like

Thank you for taking time to help a fellow discourser out.

I selected “Vanilla 2” in Source Forum Type.

I can use both Windows and linux based devices and have access to both.