Error sending messages to groups

sending a new message to a group ends up in an error message:
grafik
(One of the recipients of this message could not be found)

Sending the message to the group “admins” (I am one of the admins) does work.

We are on 2.5.0.beta5 ( 7bc496070f )

Update:
I just did a test, all group names that include a capital letter (and almost all our groups do have capital letters in the group names) do not work any longer as message recipients.
So “Testuser” is no longer working, but after renaming the group to “testuser” is worked.
Renaming it back to “Testuser” does again show the error.
So something is wrong in the current releases with the sending to group names with capital letters.

The error logs does show as latest error for several times the below error but I am unsure if that error does belong to the problem above (probably that error is a different problem).

Message (39 copies reported)

Job exception: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "WHERE"
LINE 1: ...E groups SET flair_url = NULL, flair_upload_id =  WHERE id =...
                                                             ^

Backtrace

/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.0.2/lib/patches/db/pg.rb:110:in `exec'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.0.2/lib/patches/db/pg.rb:110:in `async_exec'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/mini_sql-0.2.5/lib/mini_sql/postgres/connection.rb:135:in `run'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/mini_sql-0.2.5/lib/mini_sql/postgres/connection.rb:107:in `exec'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/onceoff/migrate_group_flair_images.rb:80:in `block in execute_onceoff'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activerecord-6.0.3/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:87:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activerecord-6.0.3/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:87:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/onceoff/migrate_group_flair_images.rb:18:in `execute_onceoff'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/onceoff/onceoff.rb:25:in `execute'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:232:in `block (2 levels) in perform'
3 Likes

If you’re sure that permissions to message the group have been set correctly can you check the group name presented in /g/ versus the group name in the message?

There have been a couple of places where case sensitivity has caused this error.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/case-sensitivity-in-links-to-groupname/147596/8

1 Like

well to these groups were sent a lot of messages every day and in beta4 it still worked fine.
The permissions are unchanged, group members and admins can sent to that group and I am a member of that group and also of the admin group.
This morning I did the upgrade to beta5 and since then the problem started.

The group name in the message is the same like in the group, i.e “Team_CM_MP-Mod”

2 Likes

Is that the group name, the group full name, or both?

1 Like

this if the group name not the full name.
I just did a test, all group names that include a capital letter (and almost all our groups do have capital letters in the group names) do not work any longer as message recipients.
So “Testuser” is no longer working, but after renaming the group to “testuser” is worked.
Renaming it back to “Testuser” does again show the error.
So something is wrong in the current releases with the sending to group names with capital letters.

2 Likes

Ok, so that confirms what I was referring to above. It looks to relate to this commit:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/e8fb9d406667c758cba0f7b1cc779e1ceb352c4c

Paging @techAPJ!

4 Likes

Thanks for reporting this!

This commit should fix the issue:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/6548cd1a969746b37f505c37a1ba5ff8dd4e774a

7 Likes

just installed the latest Discourse version, works fine now.
Thanks for the fix.

3 Likes

We’re experiencing the same issue. Should we just update discourse to the latest beta?

For posterity, the message we get in english is “One of the users you are sending this message to could not be found.”

2 Likes

well at least for our installation the update on the latest beta version a few hours ago did now fix it so I would assume that it would also fix your problem.

2 Likes

Thanks! The reason I ask is because we’ve updated the forum this morning (12 hours ago or so) and this is when the issue started occuring. The linked fix on git hub was comitted 3 days ago, so we should have the latest version it seems… Could you do me a favor and check what version you’re currently running?

1 Like

I did our update 2,5 hours ago and the fix was committed only 9 hours ago (I just checked it on github)
I am running 2.5.0.beta5 subversion c8370b9c78

3 Likes

You’re right - thanks!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 26 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.