Events Plugin šŸ“†

How many categories do you have? I would think youā€™d want to have a combination of categories and tags for organizing topics for your teamsā€¦ even with no plugins or only official plugins you want to have some sort of hierarchy which only categories can provide. Tags are useful for making topics discoverable across categories and to some extent for admin purposes, but methinks they canā€™t entirely replace categories.

2 Likes

@tobiaseigen Our plan is to create/modify a floating footer with a path of tags (3-5) based on the page url (or tag page shown) so we can guide new users through a pre-set path, and use the search bar header plugin so returning users can instantly get to where they want to get to.

Our platform covers a wide area and weā€™ve had constant reports of confusion with users being unable to navigate it, and being overwhelmed where to start, to point where it barely functions, and everyone complains they canā€™t use Slack or whatsapp (which canā€™t scale to deliver our vision), so being able to codify a defined path to lead new users through would solve our usability issues.

This also gives our users the ability to spin off their own groups and projects easily, and for fluid cross team collaboration simply by adding a tag i.e. #webdev #reactjs #ux, so now three teams can see the discussion and related tasks/calendar, and then maybe someone wants to add a #bobsfridayhackteam

1 Like

Wow - thereā€™s alot going on there, beyond the scope of this topic and the events plugin. Iā€™d suggest opening a new topic in #support to ask for community input on ways to make it easier to navigate. Looks like youā€™re on the right track.

I think your feature request for the events plugin is to provide a CALENDAR and EVENTS link on tag pages when event topics are listed on a tag page, similar to categories. Selecting that link would display only event topics with that tag in a calendar/event view. I donā€™t know how hard that is to implement but I can certainly see the advantage for many communities. I would probably use it myself - on my work forum we often tag topics by location, and I can well imagine people being happy to be able to filter events to see just whatā€™s going on in their own location.

Please go ahead and submit a feature request at https://thepavilion.io and we can flesh out the request over there. As you do, please describe your use case in as much detail as you can, including the complaints people have had about not being able to find their way to events relevant to them.

3 Likes

Thank you for an excellent answer Tobias

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious on if there is a way for the Discourse Events plugin to read an ical feed and add events from www.gettogether.community. This is also being discussed on their Telegram chat.

Or, to import events from other Discourse instances with the Events plugin using their ical feeds.

2 Likes

@sunjam, thats an interesting feature to have. We manage all the work related to our plugins on

You can request this feature here. Request a feature

4 Likes
4 Likes

Anyone have an idea of why the timezone dropdown only shows UTC for me?

1 Like

Is there a way to make people who RSVP for an event ā€˜watchā€™ the topic? It would seem useful to have them receive updates.

3 Likes

We were just talking about event notifications over yonder. Handling this using watching is a good idea.

1 Like

Hi @bartv, thatā€™s a really interesting feature to have. We already have event reminders in our task list and your request seems almost similar. Hereā€™s the topic on it for Pavilion.

https://thepavilion.io/t/add-event-reminders/879

We have a long task list and weā€™re going to schedule/reschedule the tasks related to events plugin this week. The tasks currently on priority are,

1. Recurring Events,
  2. Import events from iCal feed.

Iā€™ll add your suggestion to the actual post at Pavilion and see when we can schedule it. You can read/watch that topic for updates on this.

3 Likes

@davidkingham
A similar issue is reported here. Please share all the relavant details on the below link.

2 Likes

Just curious, what would be the best way to integrate a payment for events with this? Iā€™m sure it would be too much to fold into the plugin, but we can have tickets for sale somewhere elseā€¦ Could RSVPs be conditional on a purchase elsewhere somehow, or at least just link to it?

Plus: It would also be awesome to grant badges for events attended automatically. Would that be handled purely on the custom badge settings side, or is there something to include here? (pardon my noob-ness)

4 Likes

Those are awesome ideas! This is a third party plugin stewarded over at pavilion, where you can add Feature Request.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree with @tobiaseigen, this is an awesome idea. Please do create a feature request as suggested ā€¦

4 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™d be happy to do that! ā€¦However, that link yields a blank white screen now after making an account :confused:

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed that too. Sorry about that. Looks like a recent discourse update broke a bunch of pavilion plugins. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll get the forms working soon.

The joys of dogfooding. :grin:

3 Likes

@rdprickett @tobiaseigen Hey guys, that Wizard should be working again now. Could you give it another shot?

3 Likes

Yep. Looks like itā€™s back! :slight_smile: Thanks, Angus!

2 Likes

Thanks @angus! I just used the feature request form, but I canā€™t tell if it actually submitted because it shows this at the end, when I click ā€œDone.ā€

3 Likes