Events Plugin 📆

I also no longer have a way to add a date in the new topic composer. If I try to edit a topic, I have the button :calendar: Add Event button appear, and the date choose dialog appears if I click it, but when I try to click :heavy_check_mark: to save the topic, I get a 500 Internal Server Error pop-up dialog appear.

And on https://discourse.example.org/calendar I have a blank grid:

Partial Workaround

If I disable the discourse-calendar plugin, the calendar grid appears again at /calendar and old events appear. And I can also add an event to topics. However newly created events don’t show up on the calendar anywhere.

I wonder if something changed with how Discourse core is doing calendars/events? There have been a lot of commits to discourse-calendar lately.

3 Likes

Making a note of this. This has been reported earlier too. There was a big change to the events plugin recently, after which these issues have been reported. Taking a lot at the cause

Good catch.

1 Like

I see the problem, we have a guardian method collision, will change this in discourse-calendar.

If you update discourse-calendar that should be fixed.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for identifying and resolution. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unfortunately this happened on my forum as well. But in old categories plugin works. In new categories, no.

Fortunately I had a category with few messages and I changed the name to use as Calendar and sent the old messages to a new category.

1 Like

Please update the discourse-calendar plugin if its causing a conflict with events plugin.

4 Likes

Hey, I’m trying to make a recurring weekly event posting. Wondering if this is possible with a template or some other functionality. Any tips or guidance appreciated! See our weekly meeting post here.

2 Likes

We’ve been thinking about recurring events for some time now. We have an initial spec ready but been onto some high priority stuff(refactoring, unit testing etc) lately.

3 Likes

OK, all users of Events, please take note below.

How to safely update when using our plugins:

Pavilion’s update schedule

Events is one of the Pavilion family of open source plugins.

Going forward, Pavilion will focus on ensuring compatibility of a core set of its plugins with Discourse Core tests-passed branch during the first 5 days of every month only.

Any bugs which arise because of an incompatibility will be addressed asap during this ‘supported period’, preferably by the 7th day. Low severity or Beta feature bugs may not be addressed by this date, but obvious things which are ‘breaking’ a forum should be resolved.

This new policy will come into effect 1st May 2020

Why we are introducing this policy

We have no control over changes in Discourse core. That is how it should be. However, as our plugins have grown and become more sophisticated, it is getting more and more burdensome to guarantee they are working with every update of Discourse. It’s becoming untenable to ensure immediate compatibility is maintained.

To give our developers breathing room so they can attend to other priorities in addition to plugin support we will no longer be guaranteeing compatibility with Discourse every day of the month.

This policy should also help you achieve more stability and give you more certainty over when you can more safely update.

How to perform your update

Aim to update your Production Discourse instance (both Discourse core and our plugins) in the first 5 days of every month. Notify us on the relevant Plugin Topic on Meta of any issues you encounter. You will get more focussed support from the Pavilion team on any issues with their plugins during this period.

You update your Production server outside of the first 5 days of the month at your own risk. If you do so and something breaks related to one of our plugins, we urge you to report it and in addition, and if appropriate, uninstall our plugin until it is resolved. Unfortunately we may not get around to fixing it until the next supported period at the beginning of the following month.

For even greater safety

Consider testing your update on your own staging server built from a back-up of your production site. This is especially important if your site is large, popular and/or part of a business.

You can switch this server off for the rest of the month so you don’t get charged for up-time. Use this opportunity to test out all basic functionality to identify any issues with plugins. Report all critical and high issues asap on the relevant plugin topic.

Using a staging site may allow you to have more discretion over when you update, but be aware of the relative lack of support in the latter part of the month.

Thanks for your understanding!

12 Likes

That’s awesome! Thank you!

5 Likes

Guys, the support period is on. Please report the issues here Bug Report

All the major issues reported on or before 5th of May will be resolved in by around 7th of May.

4 Likes

Hey everybody :slight_smile:

If you use this plugin currently, or are considering it, please take a moment to consider whether the new Event features in the Discourse Calendar plugin made by the Discourse team are right for you:

If that plugin does meet your needs we would recommend using it instead of this one.

As mentioned in that topic, we’re going to continue to support this plugin for as long as it takes to cover all the use cases it currently supports, that the Discourse Calendar plugin does not support. If and when we do reach the point of all use cases being supported, we’ll be deprecating this plugin.

We need your help!

To know when we reach that point, we need your help! If you’re using this plugin currently, or are considering an events solution in Discourse, we’d like to hear from you about whether the new event features in the Discourse Calendar plugin meet your needs. If they don’t, please explain why.

11 Likes

Things that I miss in the Calendar plugin:

• all day events
  • add events in different time zone
  • show event end in topic list
  • ability to choose format in topic list
  • calendar subscriptions
8 Likes

Guys, I’ve just merged in a new implementation of private ical feeds. You’ll be able to use that feature if you update to latest commit of the plugin.

I’ve added a link to documentation on the calendar page.

5 Likes

I feel quite stupid right now. In the past I have installed the Events calendar in two forums, without problems. Now I’m trying to get it working in a third forum and I don’t know what I’m missing that I don’t get the “Add Event” button in new posts:

• Check: events enabled: Allow events to be added to topics in all categories.
  • Check: Allow events to be added to topics in this category (overrides site setting).
  • Check: Min trust to create event in this category (overrides site setting). (TL0)
  • Check: Show an agenda topic list in this category (overrides site setting). (it is shown)
  • Check: Show a calendar topic list in this category (overrides site setting). (it is shown)

But still, no “Add Event” button. What am I missing? (EDITED)

2 Likes

The Locations Plugin ?

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant no “Add Event” button.

The Location plugin is installed and it works. The Add Location button is in place.

2 Likes

@quimgil I also saw this recently. Try disabling and re-enabling events in the category and it should work.

@fzngagan We should look into this. Could you make a new open source task?

4 Likes

Indeed, just uncheking - saving - checking - saving resolved the problem in the two categories where we want Events enabled. Thank you!

I thought I had done this before but maybe not as clean, as in changing site-wide settings as well, etc.

4 Likes

This doesn’t seem to work right now?

Adding “calendar” or “agenda” in the top menu setting results in this error message:

x You specified the invalid choice calendar

The Events plugin is installed and works. Calendar or Events don’t appear in the drop down list of options to add to the calendar.

For what is worth, when configuring the Locations Plugin a “Map” option was available in the drop down but the first time I selected it I also got that error. However, after insisting the item was taken (!?), and now we have a “Map” link in the top menu. However, no Calendar / Events top menu items.

(capitalizing or not doesn’t change anything)

3 Likes