Expandable advanced search UI panel

Is there a way to use advanced search without restricting search results to a particular category? “Uncategorized” category is selected by default, but there is no “All categories” item in the dropdown box, which should be the default option.

Uncategorized does search all categories - I’m not sure how to search for #uncategorized topics with advanced search at the moment. Poor choice of wording.

3 Likes

Well that is confusing. We should support a blank option here meaning all @cpradio.

1 Like

May we also add a separate translation key for “any” and not reuse another existing key?

For instance, I’d translate it differently in various contexts. Advanced Search is another context and is not an exception.

I think translating “blank” (no text) Is zero effort for all human languages and makes more sense. But re-using an existing translation is OK if that is easier.

1 Like

May you explain what you mean re “blank”?

This can’t be easily done using the category-chooser component

From prior convo with @tgxworld

Yeah, the category-chooser defaults to that… :frowning: Has for ages, there are multiple topics about it here on Meta

In short, when Uncategorized is enabled, it takes over the “blank” spot on the category-chooser. Because Uncategorized, isn’t a “true” category. So the only way to fix this, is to go back to category-selector and have people type in the category name.

1 Like

There is an “All” option in a similar dropdown box in the menu:

However, it does not contain “Uncategorized” category. Still, if I click on it from the home page, it is then shown as a selected option in the menu. A bit confusing.

Probably fine, I am not seeing the big distinction between “you gotta type” and “drop down list”.

K, I’ll work on switching it back. That shouldn’t take too long, but I’m not sure when this week I’ll get to it.

4 Likes

And I got to it tonight (and man, it was more changes than I remembered)
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/4527

3 Likes

Oh, I should also mention moving back to category-selector solves another issue, Anonymous can now search by category (so long as the category is public).

6 Likes

One thing that was brought up today is that plugins may need to add search options here – for example the solved plugin allows you to search for topics where a post was marked as the solution.

8 Likes