Failed to Bootstrap due to out of memory

I’m trying to create a new Discourse, falling the steps here: How To Install Discourse via Docker on Ubuntu 14.04 | DigitalOcean

I get to the ./launcher bootstrap app part, and it goes off for about 45 minutes (even though the guide says it should only take 8 minutes), and it comes back with an error:

I was originally trying this with the default setup on Digital Ocean of Ubuntu 16.041 x64, but then I noticed that the guide uses Ubuntu 14.04 x64. So I destroyed my droplet and started a new one, but I get the same exact behavior.

In both cases I’m choosing the 1 GB droplet option, which has worked for me in the past. I’ve checked and rechecked and triple-checked my app.yml file, and everything seems to be correct.

Has anybody else encountered this error? Has something changed since the publishing of the guide I’m following?

When you use the command free -m

Do you have a swap ?

It seems that you don’t have enough memory and it kills the bootstrap

(David O'Dea) #3

I recommend using Discourse’s official Docker guide:

You won’t have any issues with the above guide.

Ack, following the official Discourse setup guide did indeed work! Now I feel like a bit of an idiot, but maybe this’ll help somebody in the future who stumbles across the (faulty?) setup guide on Digital Ocean.

Thanks for the help!

(David O'Dea) #5

I agree it is confusing, looks like that article was written in 2014 however :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #6