Failing spec: sign_in(Fabricate(:user))

I’ve got a spec that started failing a few days ago. It looks like it’s due to something about timzone? I don’t see a way that it’s my plugin’s fault, but maybe I’m missing something?

require 'rails_helper'

describe TopicDefaultTag::ActionsController do
  before do
    Jobs.run_immediately!
  end

it 'can list' do
    sign_in(Fabricate(:user))
    get "/topic-default-tag/list.json"
    expect(response.status).to eq(200)
  end
end
Running Rspec: plugins/discourse-topic-default-tag/spec/requests/actions_controller_spec.rb
Loading plugins while running specs

An error occurred while loading ./plugins/discourse-topic-default-tag/spec/requests/actions_controller_spec.rb.
Failure/Error: UserOption.create!(user_id: id)

NoMethodError:
  undefined method `timezone' for #<UserOption:0x000055dd7af16ca8>
  Did you mean?  timeout
# ./app/models/user.rb:1343:in `create_user_option'
# (eval):19:in `block (2 levels) in run_file'
# ./spec/rails_helper.rb:79:in `<top (required)>'
# ./plugins/discourse-topic-default-tag/spec/requests/actions_controller_spec.rb:1:in `require'
# ./plugins/discourse-topic-default-tag/spec/requests/actions_controller_spec.rb:1:in `<top (required)>'
No examples found.

Finished in 0.00005 seconds (files took 3.52 seconds to load)
0 examples, 0 failures, 1 error occurred outside of examples

That sounds like you’re missing the timezone column in your user_options table. Have you run migrations recently in your test database? RAILS_ENV=test bin/rake db:migrate

2 Likes

Why, no! No I haven’t. I ran migrations on the dev database, but not test. Thanks, David!

I don’t understand what’s going on now, but it’s likely not as novice as this problem. :wink:

2 Likes

You should get a message when you’re missing migrations

But this will only work if you’re using the rails_helper. I suspect you need to add require "rails_helper" to the top of your spec file. That might resolve the other issues you’re seeing as well.

Edit: hmmm… maybe we should add --require rails_helper to the .rspec file so that it doesn’t need to be added manually :thinking:

2 Likes

That sounds like the kind of stupid error that I would make! Alas, I do have require 'rails_helper'.

Maybe runing ./bin/rake autospec rather than bundle exec rake autospec was my problem, but it’s still failing at travis, and now this spec seems to be doing a bunch of stuff that I don’t understand for my one little spec, but I’ll just wait and see what happens.

Thanks again.

2 Likes