Feature Request: Youtube playlist function

I’ve been trying to find a way to include a client-side playlist (similar to Youtube Playlist ) as some sort of button or something.

It’d be great for forum threads that basically become big long music video threads, like: http://rationalviews.com/t/random-music-thread/27

I haven’t been able to figure out how to add a button like this. If anyone has any ideas, or would like to include this as an ability for the forum (like tagging a thread to turn on this ability, for example), that’d be awesome.

Thinking…

1. Create on demand playlists via the YouTube API and embed the playlist in the topic. Not tried this, but reading the YT docs, I can’t see why this wouldn’t work. Issues: YT only and keeping the playlist updated as more videos are added… etc.

2. This would work for mixed YT, Vimeo, HTML5 etc as I’ve done similar for clients. On demand via plugin or client side.

Master Slider - jQuery plugin.

1 Like

I’ll take a look into that! Haven’t tried playing with that api much

1 Like

Sorry not sure I made my reply very clear.

1 and 2 are different solutions. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Yes. The api being the freebie, it’s what I’m looking into first.

Nothing seems quite as simple or elegant as that little browser plug-in, so far.

Ok - so simply adding the playlist isn’t oneboxing properly.

It does here but not on the Communiteq (formerly DiscourseHosting) setup. Perhaps that one is behind on versions?

Has it to do with the different URL structure? i.e.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=[video id here]

vs.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=[video id here]&list=[list id here]

Is it that the &list= is getting sanitized out?

Yes, IIRC this has been fixed, but I forgwt where I saw the discussion.
Maybe a version update is in order?

2 Likes

Very possibly. I’ve contacted them to confirm that. My guess is that it does need to be updated, but I don’t see anything in the dashboard for that. Not exactly like I can do any git updates :smile:

Regarding sanitized strings, that’s probably it in a nutshell.

Hmm, it seems like this doesn’t work with video scaling. Anyone know of any plans to support this?

Looks like it is a playlist and is working …