"First X" badges might be annoying

Cross posting from Do we really need the first badges? - #4 by felixc - meta - The Rust Programming Language Forum.

I really enjoy using discourse, and at this point I think I’ve joined dozens of various discourses across the open source community. Joining the new discourse is actually a pretty common activity for me, and I do find various low-level badge notifications like “editor” annoying. I see how they can be useful for users new to the platform, to teach them what’s available.

But, as a discourse veteran, I’d love there to be some form of “skip tutorial” checkbox when I register for a new discourse.

You can already do that.

When you register you will get a full screen overlay asking if you want to skip it:

You can also do the same on you profile if you missclick on this step.

5 Likes

I think this is different. What I am talking about are notifications for badges specifically. Skipping the tutorial doesn’t remove the “Earned ‘First Like’” notification. Basically, as a new user, I need to dismiss a notification for any action I do, as many actions are awarded with some kind of “First” badge.

Looking more into this, seems like there was a bug that prevented this setting from actually disabling badges notifications? It seems it was fixed fairly recently, so perhaps the fix (FIX: Skip notifications about beginner badges by AndrewPrigorshnev · Pull Request #12819 · discourse/discourse · GitHub) just didn’t tickled down to the discourses I use?

The above screenshot was made just now on the https://zigforum.org.

EDIT: yeah, it seems this work correctly on this instance.

3 Likes

Yeah, that community isn’t running the latest version of Discourse according to the page source.

As I’m typing this reply, this is the latest version of Discourse.

1 Like

Looks like Zig is running an over 6 months old install that is missing several fixes, including security ones. You may want to ask the admins to update it ASAP.

2 Likes