Follow Plugin 👨

as a moderator, I’ve for a long time wanted the ability to “follow”, or somehow track an individual in order to monitor them, and this plugin does exactly that. However, i’d love if a “stealth follow” was available to staff and moderators, where we can follow a user, without them getting a notification, and without our name showing up in their followers list.
This way, we can use this feature to monitor certain users that are either trolling, harassing, or that we suspect will post malicious content in the future, and hopefully catch them before anyone has to flag it.

I just followed a user for the sake of tracking him, and he decided to follow me back, which i dont want, but i cant deny him from following me either.

I dont see this as essential, but it’d be a neat bonus to have. And i’d love if you implemented it, but its not an expectation. The plugin is great as it is :slight_smile:

6 Likes
(Angus McLeod) #22

hm, it’s a per-following (i.e. per user you’re following) setting, so it’ll need to go somewhere in the “Network” UI.

This should give you a list of users’ follower count in descending order

SELECT user_id, max(u.cnt) as "Followers"
FROM (
    SELECT user_id, cardinality(string_to_array(value, ',')) as cnt
    FROM user_custom_fields u
    WHERE name = 'followers'
    ) u
GROUP BY user_id, cnt
ORDER BY cnt DESC

Interesting! I’ve provisionally slotted it in for June: Add stealth follow - Public Work - Angus' Sandbox

8 Likes
(Diego Barreiro) #23

As a workaround for this, you can Impersonate that user, and stop following yourself from his profile

2 Likes

Seems like a slimy thing to do. A bit awkward to have to explain myself in case i get caught :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll leave it alone, but im super happy that this is being implemented! Great work!

2 Likes
(Juan Adamuz) #25

Hello, My forum does not dispatch follow notifications… why?

(Iceman) #26

I see it as being part of the “Network” area, as you said.

I think that it can work as one of the following (please share your thoughts):

• A dropdown under the user’s name with the same levels as Discourse normally has.

• Have the whole user space/rectangle as a clickable dropdown. (This one kind of disables the profile clicking part).

• Putting one of those square buttons with dropdown options like the ones next to the topics right next to the user name, this ones: image

What do you think?

(Angus McLeod) #27

Thanks for trying it out :slight_smile: Could you explain a bit more? Are you not seeing in-app notifications? Are you referring to emails? Can you test it out on https://discourse.angusmcleod.com.au and see if you can reproduce it?

Cool, so something like this?

2 Likes
(Iceman) #28

Yes, that’s it!

I think that, with that layout, you maintain the Discourse visual consistency and logic, because is the same as the one used for topics.

(Juan Adamuz) #29

The issue is whenever someone follows a person, that person does not get notified in the notification area. He doesn´t know if anybody followed him or not until he enters to network tab in his profile.

(Angus McLeod) #30

hm, can you link me to your site (i.e. where this isn’t working)? This is working fine on my sandbox, for example when you followed me. I just followed you on my sandbox; you should also have a notification.

Screenshot%20at%20May%2006%2010-30-11