Forum not working after configuring CDN (ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID)

Well, I’m a bit lost (and reply precisely to your question at the end of the message)

I followed this #howto:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/enable-a-cdn-for-your-discourse/14857

1. The CNAME , which is the “friendly” name for your CDN that you’ll set up in your DNS, e.g. discourse-cdn.example.com
  2. The CDN URL , which is the “unfriendly” name for where the cached CDN assets will be coming from via the CDN’s worldwide network of distributed servers. It will look like 637763234.cdn-provider.com

Stackpath told me to add this in my DNS (the screenshot is from my stackpath configuration steps):

The CNAME entry being www, I assumed that the “friendly” name for my CDN would be www.unicyclist.com.

Then, still following the #howto where the “friendly” name is added to the app.yml:

Uncomment the CDN line in your app.yml and update it with the CNAME you just set up in your DNS:

## the origin pull CDN address for this Discourse instance
DISCOURSE_CDN_URL: //discourse-cdn.example.com

I did the same and I set DISCOURSE_CDN_URL to www.uncyclist.com

So I don’t quite understand why I should set the “unfriendly” name in my app.yml when the #howto tell me the opposite.

As for the IP and domains:

My VPS IP is 95.217.21.71.
The A entry that I added following stackpath’s configuration steps is their own IP (as I understand it).
My app.yml hostname is unicyclist.com.

Oh, I’ll have a look at this!

Yup: that was that. Thanks guys!

1 Like