Free Hosting for Open Source v2

Originally published at: Free Hosting for Open Source v2

Nearly two years ago we started very carefully experimenting with free hosting of open source projects. Today we’re announcing the next iteration of our free hosting program, casting a much wider net this time. Free Discourse Hosting For Your Open Source Project Do you run a popular open source project? Then you might be eligible…

37 Likes

How will this affect communities in the V1 program?

5 Likes

Projects on the legacy plan will continue to be hosted under the terms that applied when they signed up, meaning they will not need to change their domain names.

13 Likes

This is incredible!!! Thanks so much @erlend_sh and Discourse team!!!

7 Likes

All credit to @erlend_sh he has been driving this forward!

12 Likes

@erlend_sh We’d like to move Gitcoin to use the free version possible. Does this allow for a custom domain? If not, how do we qualify for the 50% off?

1 Like

The free plan no longer allows for custom domains. The 50% discount is generally for not-for-profit open source projects, which puts Gitcoin in a bit of a grey area. But since it literally exists for the purpose of supporting open source that tips the scale in your favour :wink:

I’ll send you a PM to discuss specifics.

6 Likes

When you say you can’t help import existing mailing lists and the like, does that mean it’s still possible for us to do it manually or only if we self-host? We have 17 years of mailing lists to not lose and we’re really not trying to self host anything anymore :wink:

2 Likes

You can absolutely do it yourself. All our import scripts are open source, so you can set up a local dev site and run the import. From there, you can take a backup of your dev site, upload it to your free hosted site, and shoot us an email. We’ll work with you to restore the backup.

9 Likes

Awesome, guess I know what I’ll be doing this weekend :smiley:

3 Likes

Are you sure? The opening post explicitly says:

1 Like

Yes, I’m quite sure :smiley:. We will not assist with imports, but we’re happy to restore a Discourse backup, whether that backup is from an import, another hosting site, self-hosting, etc.

Let me see if I can edit the copy there a bit to be clearer.

7 Likes

FAQ in the linked blog post updated.

6 Likes

Hello :slight_smile: This is unclear to me why allow_restore parameter is disabled in these opensource discourses.

Although it looks natural that no support is provided for custom imports requiring ssh-ing the server and doing the technical work, moving from old.discourse.example.org to new.discourse.group is basically a file save/open operation requiring no technical knowledge. Am I missing something?

4 Likes

Restore is disabled across our entire hosting. Free, standard, business, enterprise, everything. This has nothing to do with our open source hosting. We handle restores for our customers, even the free ones, for security and support reasons.

10 Likes

Ah OK thank you @jomaxro, the reason wasn’t clear to me.

4 Likes

Just setting up one of these. We want to enable logging in by github, twitter and google. Is this going to be possible and can we set it up in the usual way? Or is this something discourse would be able to do for us because it’s on your discourse.group domain?

If I recall correctly, setting up the apps on one or more of these requires authenticating with the TLD.

1 Like

Which one?

We have plenty of users using social logins under discourse.group. First site I tested is using GitHub and Google.

5 Likes

OK, cool! Thanks for confirming. I haven’t done many of these and tend to forget steps I haven’t performed in a while. I will take a look and get back to you if I run into any trouble.

4 Likes

Thank you team! It looks like this is also available from the Admin panel. Sorry for the newbie question, and thank you very much for your help!

1 Like