Get latest topic of a subcategory

Is there a method to get the latest topic of a subcategory that I receive in category.subcategories? I can use category.latestTopic to get the latest topic of the main category but I can’t use it for subcategories, any smart workaround for this? I would like to show the latest topic of a subcategory when i list the subcategories.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure of the context (can you post your code?) but I think you should be able to treat subcategories the same as parent categories.

So category.latestTopic would work the same for any category/subcategory. If you loop through each of the subcategories using category.subcategories you should be able to use category.latestTopic within that loop.

3 Likes

Hello, sadly it does not. behave the same way.
Inside:

<script type="text/x-handlebars" data-template-name="components/categories-only">
    {{#each categories as |c|}}

I can use c.latestTopic
But inside after the above:

{{#each c.subcategories as |s|}}

I can’t use s.latestTopic It doesn’t return anything

3 Likes

Ohh I see now, thanks for the additional detail. It looks like we don’t include topics for subcategories on the category page at all, so using latestTopic definitely isn’t possible… I think the serializer would need to be modified in a plugin to accomplish this? (sorry, I’m not sure of the specifics for accomplishing that).

1 Like

I don’t know, sadly I’m not that experienced with Discourse or Ruby or whatever part has to be modified.
I hope someone can come up with a solution, I’ve been trying this for days and weeks by now.