Handling trolls with multiple accounts over VPNs

Yes, I am OK with that.

4 Likes

Just checking in to see if anyone perhaps did something with this. Would be cool if users that sign up with a VPN IP could be put on hold or silenced (similar to what happens when a new user types too fast, for example).

Idea:

1. User signs up
  2. Userā€™s registration IP gets checked against the lists that @nbianca mentioned
  3. If itā€™s a anonymous IP, userā€™s accounts gets put on hold
  4. User receives a message explaining the situation
  5. Moderator can review the sign up or message the user

Ideally this could be enabled/disabled with a setting for communities who donā€™t need this.

Background: Struggling with a very dedicated spammer who has been banned three years ago. After their account is deleted, they use a VPN service to create a new one and continue posting as if nothing happened. We manage to catch them every single time, but by then thereā€™s usually some damage already. Would be nice to have some sort of preventative measure.

2 Likes

So much for browser fingerprintingā€¦

This is still the relevant advice @RobinTS. Assuming you donā€™t have hundreds of new users signing up every day and posting, having staff approval of all new user posts isnā€™t too onerous.

1 Like

We have about 25-50 on any given day. Some days less and some days more. Itā€™s a global community and I donā€™t want to punish legitimate users who want to join, but have to wait for a moderator when none may be online at the time. It could negatively impact sign up and community growth.

The user is also intelligent enough to start posting ā€œnormallyā€, like a new user would. Eventually they slip up or we pick up on something.

I guess that thereā€™s no easy solution to this. Or at least not one without some drawbacks. But I thought there would be at least some merit to sharing my experiences here.

5 Likes

I sure get that. It brings the question what can moderators do at signups ?

So, you get a bunch of new users ā€œon holdā€ because they use a VPN. But then what ?

Wouldnā€™t it be better to follow a little more closely what these users (using a VPN) are saying/doing ? Without them knowing. Maybe by using the Data Explorer Plugin to spot VPN users, and then follow these users (+fingerprinting +other measures).

EDIT: It would also be better for legitimate VPN users (no hold period or any extra inconvenience) and less work for moderators.