hCaptcha plug-in

I was made aware of this plug-in

but don’t find anything about it here, does anyone have any info on it, using it, examples or reports?

Thank you

3 Likes

I can’t find any info on it, but I tested it locally, and everything seems to work fine.

I followed the README to get the API key (it takes a few seconds).

Overview

This plugin is designed to integrate HCaptcha into the sign-up form of Discourse forums. This plugin aims to enhance security and bot protection by leveraging the privacy-centric features of HCaptcha. The setup process is straightforward and consists of a few easy steps.

Installation

1. Create an HCaptcha Account:
  • Visit HCaptcha to create an account. After registering, you’ll receive a site key and a secret key.
  1. Setup Local Testing (Optional):
  • If you are testing locally, add a new virtual host entry to your hosts file. Include a line like 127.0.0.1 test.mydomain.com. Make sure the domain is valid, even if you don’t own it, to ensure the HCaptcha script loads properly.
  1. Configure Plugin Settings:
  • Navigate to Admin > Settings > Plugins > hCaptcha (settings).
  • In this section, add the site key and secret key you obtained from HCaptcha.

By completing these steps, you will successfully integrate HCaptcha into the sign-up form of your community.

Here is some image:

The image shows a user registration form on a website, with fields for name and password, a checked password strength indicator, an unchecked CAPTCHA box for human verification, and a prompt to complete the hCaptcha challenge, with options to either create an account or log in. (Captioned by AI)

The image shows a completed hCaptcha widget with a checked box next to the statement "I am human," indicating that the user has passed the CAPTCHA challenge to verify that they are not a robot. (Captioned by AI)

I hope that helps! :+1:

4 Likes

Awesome find! Definitely needs visibility

2 Likes

Very glad for ya for this plugin definitely should became native with multi support.

2 Likes

What is so great on that?

1 Like

Is it solving a problem that you are experiencing?

2 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

I find this plugin to be broken with 3.3.0.beta3-dev. After clicking registration, it says:

Something went wrong, perhaps this email is already registered, try the forgot password link

1 Like

I have the latest Discourse version, and I can’t reproduce it in my local (dev) instance. :thinking:
I will see to test a production forum in a few minutes.

It works well on a production installation.

Does it happen every time you register?

1 Like

Yes, it happens every time. I opened up dev tools, and the error is:

{"errors":["You need to be logged in to do that."],"error_type":"not_logged_in"}

when performing a POST to /hcaptcha/create.json

Here is a screenshot:

And I am sure the email is not registered and the problem ceased when the plugin is disabled.

BTW, the domain is https://npuer.life/.
I am not sure whether the problem has to do with using CloudFlare as a CDN, let me do a test. and after a test, the error remains the same.

1 Like

I can reproduce it on your site. I can see the request pass through Cloudflare, so I can only assume it does something it should not, like caching the page and passing a different forum session.

I don’t know Cloudflare; see in the dashboard if you can disable any optimization for this request.

3 Likes