Hiding certain topics from the homepage

Under Settings, there’s a couple options for muting categories and tags. I was just playing around with it and it looks like muting a category hides it under a “muted” section on the homepage, while muting tags hides any topics that have been assigned those tags. This is good for preventing those topics from appearing on the homepage/under “latest”, but I do want the topics to be actually visible once you navigate to their category.

So my question - is there a way to prevent topics of a certain tag or category from appearing on the homepage or under “latest”, while also making them visible when you navigate to their category? We do want these topics to be visible and reachable (via their category), just not clogging up the homepage.

1 Like

I’m not sure. Does such a setting combo exist @tshenry?

This is correct. The categories page should have a “Muted” section at the bottom of the category list that can be expanded to reveal all of the categories you have muted. You can also select a muted category from the category dropdown that appears to the upper left of topic lists.

Correct, topics with muted tags will not show up on any topic list unless the tag is explicitly selected from the tag dropdown, or you are viewing the tag’s own topic list.

This is where I start to get a little confused. If you navigate to a muted category you will see all of the topics that belong to that category, except those that are also tagged with a muted tag, or those that have been individually muted. As mentioned, you can select the muted tag from the category’s tag drop to show muted tag topics within a category.

Let me know if I’m, misunderstanding or if I can elaborate on anything.

1 Like

Hi!
I reopen this topic because I need something similar. In my site, moderators solve issues posted on different categories. When solved, they use tags to identify them and they want to remove that topic from latest but not from the category. We also don’t want to use muted/invisible option, because it’s not so easy to find or filter those topics afterwards.

I think @hollyw meant something like this. Is there some theme component or plugin that allows this?

Thank you!!

Why? It will disappear organically anyway.

But change date 10 years older. If there is traffic no one sees it on latest.

Hi Jakke! As they edit the topic with tags, it goes up. So, in order to look for unchecked posts they have to scroll down. Imagine doing that with 20 or 30 topics being edited at the same time. It would be useful to clean the latest view, but still find them inside each category.

You should check setting disable tags edit notifications.

By definition those edited ones are part of latest. But why you just restore original date after editing? Every topic has it as an option.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion!
To explain myself better, what I mean is that the latest section works like a task list where you can close topics and make them dissapear. But maybe that’s not possible right now or with the tools we have. Thank you for your help!

How are your users using the forum?

It’s a site where the internal users of a software make suggestions for improvements to it. Product Owners choose whether to accept or reject them using tags and then they close the topic.

I’m now exploring the Archive option, to see if it fulfills what they need.

The Reset Bump Dates bulk action will fix that.

1 Like

Thank you Stephen. I’ll try that!

Hi, is it possible to mute a topic from the latest topic lists?

My scenario is that I’m use the topic thumbnails component and have a category set for it which works fine but it still shows up under latest topic lists. I don’t want my whole site to have topics with thumbnails and this is an issue I’m not sure how to solve.