How can I bulk remap/update user email addresses?

(harvey) #1

I followed the instructions here to change domain (it worked fine):

The problem is I tried to change my domain from forum.mysite.co to forum.mysite.com.au (all staff members are on user@mysite.com.au email address). The forum migrated fine. But all my staff’s (admin/moderator) login email addresses became user@mysite.com.aum.au !

(I was fortunately spared, as my login was @mysite.co, so it migrated to @mysite.com.au, which also happens to be my email anyway).

What do I do now?

I tried to change everyone’s email directly in admin>user, but the system won’t let me change other people’s email. I was going to ask everyone to try to login with the .com.aum.au email address and change their email, but I realized as part of security measure, a confirmation email is actually sent to .com.aum.au to confirm the change. But obviously any email to .com.aum.au doesn’t get to anybody.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: the affected users can login with username/password. Problem is no way to change the affected email. Since a confirmation email is sent to original (now wrong) email address, which doesn’t get to anyone.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Are you sure this is the actual email or is this a typo? Can we see a screenshot of this in a user profile?

(harvey) #3

@codinghorror It is certainly not a typo. My staffs’ (more than one) email went from user@site.com.au to user@site.com.aum.au

My email went from myemail@site.co to myemail@site.com.au

The domain migration impacts login emails. And since we were trying to migrate from site.co to site.com.au. It ‘replaced’ the string pattern in our login emails.

I can show you screenshots of my other colleague’s profile, but the issue is the same.

(harvey) #4

@codinghorror the affected users can login with their username/password, the issue is they cannot change the email, as by security design, a confirmation email is sent to the original (now wrong) email address, which is not getting to anyone.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

I see then this is an error on our end can you assist @techapj?

(Arpit Jalan) #6

Can you please let me know the exact command you ran to remap forum.mysite.co to forum.mysite.com.au ?

I can easily create a new rake task which will batch remap/update user email address from user@mysite.com.aum.au to user@mysite.com.au but first I want to know the root cause of how this happened, to prevent it from happening in future.

(harvey) #7

Our discourse is hosted on digitalocean. We don’t use CDN, so I basically followed the instructions exactly.

Reading through the instructions again, the only part I could have screwed up is:

I may have typed in

Without the “talk” sub-domain (or in our case “forum” sub-domain). But then again, not everyone puts discourse in a sub-domain, so I would think this is still a bug that could happen to your other customers (and why remap a user’s email?).

Is there a command in ubuntu where I can get command history for that particular command line (after ./launcher enter app)? Then I can confirm this more definitely with you.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Oh, I thought you were a customer, but you aren’t. Yeah, you’ll need to fix the bad mapping command you issued. We can’t help you directly, as you are not on our servers.

(Arpit Jalan) #9

That is… very risky.

Here is the rake task you can run to fix this issue.

desc 'Batch remap user email address'
task 'users:batch_remap_email', [:find, :replace] => [:environment] do |_,args|
  require 'highline/import'

find = args[:find]
  replace = args[:replace]
  if !find || !replace
    puts "ERROR: Expecting rake users:batch_remap_email['find','replace']"
    exit 1
  else
    confirm_replace = ask("Are you sure you want to remap all email addresses matching '#{find}' with '#{replace}'? (Y/n)  ")
    exit 1 unless (confirm_replace == "" || confirm_replace.downcase == 'y')
  end

puts "Remapping email addresses"
  i = 0
  User.where("email LIKE ?", "%#{find}%").each do |u|
    new_email = u.email.dup
    new_email = new_email.gsub!(/#{Regexp.escape(find)}/, replace) || new_email

if new_email != u.email
      u.email = new_email
      u.email_tokens.create(email: u.email)
      u.activate
      u.save
      putc "."
      i += 1
    end
  end
  i

puts "", "#{i} email addresses remapped!", ""
end

If you are unfamiliar with how to use above rake code, here is the rough outline:

• login on your server

• cd /var/discourse

• ./launcher enter app

• append the above code in /lib/tasks/users.rake file

• rake users:batch_remap_email['mysite.com.aum.au','mysite.co']

• remove the code appended in step 4

• :tada:

(harvey) #10

To be clear, you meant to write:

Correct? Just wanted to double check to make sure I’m not missing anything. I guess restoring it to mysite.co is fine as well. We have email access to both domains.

(Arpit Jalan) #11

Yeah, that was just an example. What you wrote looks good and will fix the issue.

(harvey) #12

That worked like a charm, you are a life saver.:confetti_ball:

While I have you, quick question - is there any configuration I have to do with mailgun (or mail server equivalent)? Right now the mails are still sent from mailgun with mysite.co email address, rather than from (the newly migrated) mysite.com.au.

I don’t mind if the emails come from mysite.co, I’m more concerned as to whether there are any risk/unintended consequences if the domain names don’t match up between the forum and mailgun.

Thanks for the help, once again.

(Arpit Jalan) #13

Awesome! :thumbsup:

I think you are looking for notification email site setting. :slight_smile:

(harvey) #14

Yeah, i guess that’s the question. Under notification email :

[quote]The from: email address used when sending all essential system emails. The domain specified here must have SPF, DKIM and reverse PTR records set correctly for email to arrive.
[/quote]

I’ve specified notification email to be `no-reply@mysite.com.au. But I only have mysite.co (and NOT mysite.com.au) with SPF, DKIM and reverse PTR records set correctly with mailgun.

I’m getting notification emails just fine. I just want to double check and make sure it is ok to leave it as is.