How can some users create account on an invite only discourse?

One of my client’s discourse install is invite only with following settings:

I’m pretty sure there is something wrong which is causing some users to be able to create account without being invited. Those users however land into the review queue but I don’t quite understand how is it possible for them as the registration link isn’t shown and I’ve tried to manually visit the /signup link, it doesn’t present the popup.

Please help me understand what to check and how to disable this behavior (users being able to register without being invited).

Just to be extra sure, Login via email and Social logins are all disabled.

Any help is highly appreciated.

1 Like

Have you tried asking these users how they signed up? Are they spammers?

2 Likes

We haven’t approved any!
the admins had unanimously decided to delete these account since their emails weren’t on the invite list.
Emails don’t follow any pattern either.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know how that could happen unless they were using underlying API calls. You might try emailing these users and asking them how they created accounts.

2 Likes

I’ll continue investigating this, seems like we’re either missing or regressing something here.

Simplest thing is to do is email these users and ask them how, because I can’t think of anything at the moment, the settings you have look correct to me.

2 Likes

I’m working upon retrieving the email addresses of these users as of now. Will send them an email asking about this.

EDIT: I’ve sent a message to the admins taking their opinion on this, We’re positive of sending them personal emails but since I’m just providing them support I can’t directly send emails.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity @itsbhanusharma, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

No, Never got to the bottom of this. They’re not a client anymore (probably not even using discourse from what I can see) so I guess we won’t have any answer. Closing this one though.

1 Like