How do I tag a post?

Not to add unnecessary “me wants this too” posts, but my use case is that I want to give students credit for class participation, so I want to tag individual posts (not entire threads) denoting that a student has made a recognized contribution. I’d then love to use the data explorer plugin or similar to tally up the contributions.

Short of having a “tag each post” facility, is there a way to accomplish this use case with existing facilities or plug-ins?

I’ve also looked into badges, except that I need to be able give a badge multiple times which doesn’t appear to be possible. I could make badges for 1st, 2nd, 3rd contribution, except I don’t have access to how many badges a user already has when looking at their post.

1 Like

You might be able to use bookmarks for this. You could then query the bookmarks table with the Data Explorer. If you were consistent with naming bookmarks, you would be able to group the Data Explorer results by the bookmark’s name field.

1 Like

Ok, so I tried bookmarking. I can bookmark a post, give it a name; it would show up in my /activity/bookmarks

I would love to have a solution where the person whose post I bookmarked under a given name could see that I bookmarked it - which as proposed wouldn’t work, right. (But the bulk data extraction via Data Explorer would work).

Also, I’d love all staff member to be able to “tag” posts.

Maybe I could use the “staff comment” feature? That’s per post, isn’t it?

In my opinion the best fit for this is the badges feature.

You can create multiple badges, each one with a different weight for scoring your students. When you consider a post score worth, you can click on the … button and “Grant Badge”.

Those badges will reference the post and can easily becomes reports afterwards!

2 Likes

Suppose I would like my students to make 3 contributions per semester. I would create 3 badges: “First Contribution”, “Second Contribution”, “Third Contribution”.

Then, however, when I see a contribution, I would need to look up which badges the user already has - if they have none, I’d give them the “First Contribution” badge; if they have one, the “Second Contribution” badge, etc. - is this what you are proposing?

I go with just a single “contribution” badge and assign it multiple times. You query can count how many badges each student got in the time period.

1 Like

I too would really like to see the option to tag individual posts.

Tags, as used in html/web pages, can be more effective than relying upon keyword or Boolean searches as addition of a tag can ‘elevate’ a particular underlying theme or idea to the post.

The way most people talk in conversation, and on Discourse, is not cleanly within the topic as defined by the title. We sometimes veer off ‘topic’, but more often tangent ideas that are still somewhat relevant, although not obvious from the topic/thread title, are included in the ensuing discussion.

Tagging individual posts prioritizes those posts valued by the community at the time they are being read, while identifying that they are simultaneously relevant to other discussions (or topics).

2 Likes

There are no plans for this on any of our roadmaps. If this is an important feature for you, I suggest switching to a different product.

Thanks for the reply, although I’m sad to hear it’s not in the roadmap.

To understand a little better, can I ask why? Is it just not seen as an important feature, or are there major coding hurdles that preclude it - is it just not at all feasible to tag individual posts?

I personally don’t really see the utility of this proposed feature at all, and none of our paying customers are asking for it.

Plus, there’s a trivial workaround: edit in unique words if you need to find a post.

1 Like

I second this request. I hope that someday it gets implemented as a plug-in or as an option.

This. :point_up_2:

But also, sometimes, users create mega threads (like “Food recipes”, “New Technologies”, “Feature Requests/Ideas Brainstorm”) and having the ability to add tags per post would help search and find specific topics within these threads.

I think this topic has gotten a little muddled over time. If tagging posts is still a feature people would like to see then creating a new feature topic with a convincing use case may be the way to give this more attention. :+1: