How to change paragraph font size?

Is there an easy way to globally change the font size for paragraph text?

Thanks!

If I understand correctly and you mean it:

.cooked {
    font-size: 1.3em;
}

Or

.topic-body .contents .cooked {
    font-size: 1.3em;
}
3 Likes

Thanks so much for the quick response - I’m new to Discourse and am really impressed with the community.

I’m hoping to enlarge all paragraph text on my site because it’s too small to read for those with bad eyesight. Will the fix you sent do that, and if so, where do I add that code?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think this guide should help you.

5 Likes

There might be a better more general place to adjust font size @awesomerobot?

I hope so. It seems like something that would be in a settings menu.

Well we keep talking about shipping built in font size theme elements but I am not sure what is taking so long, where are we on this @sam?

1 Like

A lot of our internals support user selectable theme components now, but there are some finishing touches left @Osama did not have time to get to, @xrav3nz will be picking up on this in a couple of weeks.

6 Likes

People with bad eyesight need to know how to type control - + to enlarge the fonts on every site they visit. And given that they know that, they’ll likely be annoyed when they visit your site because the font will be too big.

3 Likes

Right, agreed, but it can also be a user preference on the specific website as well. Furthermore that would increase all fonts on the website, not just the body text font. You can control it a bit more surgically via theme components that users opt into.

5 Likes

The easiest way to do this is to bump up all text, or specific sections of the UI (posts for example).

html { // all text in Discourse
    font-size: 15px; // default is 14px
}
.container.posts,
.d-editor-container {
   font-size: 15px; // increase text in posts and the post composer by 1 font size
}

There’s no general concept to increase only text that’s currently 14px to 15px (you could do it, but it’s a lot of hand-picking individual elements to style). Generally it’s not the best idea to only increase paragraph text because suddenly the paragraph text might be larger than some header text, which kind of messes up the emphasis/hierarchy.

7 Likes

Doesn’t this more or less already exist as a member option?

Thanks so much! This worked perfectly. 18 across the board is what I was looking for. It just bumped everything to give it a more chunky, clicky feel.

I see your point, however, our problem is the “People with bad eyesight need to know…” and I’m afraid our users don’t. We’ll keep an eye on that though, and thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

No, that overrides the entire theme, which is not what you want. You want a font enlarging “mixin” or “theme component” that users can opt into in their preferences.

2 Likes

Lucky that accessing your site is the only reason they’ll be using the internet. :wink:

That seems like an inappropriate joke for your sight-impaired users. :slight_smile:

5 Likes
2 Likes