How to find a rogue banner topic?

New users are seeing an unintended banner at the top of all pages until they dismiss it. I’m guessing someone inadvertently created a banner topic. How can I track down which topic was inadvertently pinned? Normally this would be easy- just search for the banner text and find the corresponding topic- but in this case, the text is auto-generated and occurs in hundreds of topics.

If I try to pin another topic, it tells me there is currently a banner topic. But where?

I’ve searched admin/settings for banner, pin, etc.

This query in Data Explorer shows only the ‘Welcome to Discourse’ topic.

select * from topics where pinned_globally = TRUE

2 Likes

Visit the site in anonymous / incognito mode and you’ll see the banner. Then search for the text in the banner, I guess.

1 Like

I’ve done that- the text in the banner is “This topic does not yet have a summary”. The problem is that we have hundreds of topics with that text, and I need to find the pinned one so I can unpin it and make the banner go away. (Assuming that’s even what is causing the banner.)

1 Like

Well your query is wrong, because you are querying global pins not banner.

1 Like

Not as efficient but less techy might be to take note of the Topic ID number from the URL while incognito and use it after logging in.

2 Likes

If you clear your cookies the banner will come back, and there is an edit link on the banner itself. You’ll need to be logged in as staff though.

Alternately create a new user, grant them moderator, and log in as that user. The banner will appear for them with the edit link.

I think the problem is that you’ve dismissed the banner, which makes it harder to find.

1 Like

I must not be using the right terminology- here’s a picture. I impersonate a new user so I can see the “banner”. It only has text, no link- I can’t click on it to find the source or topic id.

The reason I’m calling it a banner is:

1 Like

Correct you must come in as staff to see the edit link. A regular user doesn’t have permission to change a banner.

2 Likes

If I clear cookies and come in as myself (admin), I get the “Do you want live notifications” banner, not the rogue banner.

I don’t see a way to query for banner- any idea which table I should be looking at?

1 Like

Try creating a new account, granting it moderator or admin, and logging in as that account. I guess clearing the banner must be stored in a more persistent per account location.

You should see the “edit this banner” text on the banner topic, like so

Clicking that link will take you to the topic that has been bannered.

3 Likes

Yes, that worked. Problem solved. Thanks!

I guess so.

3 Likes

Sorry about the difficulty, we don’t usually see rogue bannered topics :wink:

2 Likes

I understand, this was unusual. We had a bannered topic with one post, which was working fine. Then we commissioned a plugin to auto-insert a wiki post as the first post of each topic, in hundreds of topics. So the newly-inserted wiki became the banner.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.