How to hide staff member shield icon

Hi all - I’d like to disable the admin / moderator sheild: image
I want to discourage any sort of hierarchy within my small community. While I own and set up the site, the community was there long before me and I dont want to seem ‘important’ or different if that makes sense?

Thanks!

3 Likes

You can customize the CSS:

span.staff .svg-icon-title { display: none; }

This would hide the shield in the conversation.

There might be other occurrences, e.g., in user lists or group memberships that you might want to address.

8 Likes

I don’t know why you want to do this. People should be able to find staff in a easy way if they have a problem. What are you going to do with Trust Levels for example regular and leader?

3 Likes

You can remove the badge system, and you can use your frontend Web server to return 404 to the trust_level groups. The best would be a plugin that does this but not for Staff. Anyway, that’s kind of security by obscurity.

But in @red’s case I guess prominent Staff hats removed is enough. I would be happy with this quick solution since it affects the conversation, not advanced users sneaking around, who would already know how to reach /about.

4 Likes

Or make the staff admins so shield does not show for normal members?

2 Likes

That would grant unnecessary powers to moderators who might not be tech-savvy nor trusted enough for such things. Depends on the community though.

3 Likes

Thanks all. I dont necessarily want to completely scrub the badge / staff system. I just want to remove the occurrence of the icons in common spaces (e.g. conversations). So thanks @hellekin CSS should do the trick.

I don’t so much mind about it appearing in user lists.

Its not a secret who the admin/ staff are. Just that the community has existed offline for a while. I joined recently as a newcomer and suggested Discourse, and successfully pitched that we shift the discussion into the digital space. I dont want to be singled out as having any sort of higher authority in the discussion which I feel the staff/ moderator shield does.

The community is closed, invitation only, and requires our approval so its all cool.

For context, its a group of professionals in the environmental and sustainable finance space who are participating in a personal capacity outside of their work - I’m just starting out in my career and some of the members are CEOs and VCs.

Edit: thanks @ondrejj for your thoughts also. Useful!

6 Likes

I am an administrator on our closed forum. We have 2 mods who have the shield after their name. I chose not to have a shield after my name so all I had to do was in my preferences, not to use a title. Nothing appears after my name, not Leader, not Regular, no shield… nothing. And everyone knows who I am and what I am. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.