How to inject content into `before-script-load`?

I’d like to inject some javascript into the before-script-load region.

Is it possible to achieve this via a theme, or theme-component?

3 Likes

does it need to run in that exact place (order of execution)? the browser will load all those head tag scripts regardless of their order. you can add the script in the head tag area by going to the edit CSS/HTML section of a theme in admin-customize-themes. if your theme is hosted and doesn’t allow customization, you can add it with a theme component (or to the head tag file of the repository if it’s your theme).

2 Likes

That is a development page that isn’t used in production.

As for the actual pages in Discourse, themes can inject content in the head element just fine, but without much control of the exact place where it happens, but as @Lilly said this shouldnt be an issue.

If you can tell us mor details about what exactly what you want to accomplish we may offer some suggestions.

2 Likes

I think you want to put it in an initializer.

Have a look at Split up theme Javascript into multiple files

But Falco knows lots more about that than I do.

2 Likes

Thank you @Lilly, @Falco and @pfaffman.

I believe this is my main problem.

As an example, I need to make sure the dataLayer object I set is always added to page before any other script, if possible. Especially before GTM loads (either via builtin, or a custom loader).

On my local development box, I tried utilizing the initializes, pre-initializers, and the head_tag.html template;
And inside head_tag.html template, I tried wrapping my code with <script></script> and the <script type="text/discourse-plugin" version="0.1"></script> tags.

With each one I can see the bootstrapping order relative to each other. But other than this, I don’t seem to have control over the order of the scripts loaded.

3 Likes